real time web analytics
Report - - Valparaíso prison, Chile – January, 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Valparaíso prison, Chile – January, 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

thecrazyfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was a visit to an abandoned prison not in the UK but in Chile, South America. Apologises again for posting it in the new members report forum as I do not have rights to post in the appropriate forum!

History & exploration:

Valparaíso, located on the Pacific coast, is the Chiliean Navy’s main base but also the country’s second largest city.

Located next to the sea, the city is about 100km from the capital Santiago, and is spread over several hills.

The prison, I visited was used as a political prison during the Pinochet era, where opponents of the regime were locked up and tortured during his 15 year regime.

For those who do not know the history of Pinochet, he was right-wing dictator of Chile from 1974-1990.

The prison is now abandoned and was closed in the early 1990s. It is open to the elements but from what I understand the place is being left as it is as a memorial to those who lost their lives during the Pinochet era and is slowly decaying.

I visit the prison with an American guy and in the few hours we were there, there was no one else.

Chile is a great place to do urban exploration. Especially in the far north where there are abandoned mines and towns to explore. Sadly I didn’t have time to visit this area, maybe later on this year.

Here are the pictures and some comments:

The side passage of the prison. You can see the city of Valparaíso in the distant.

Picture077.gif

View attachment 340875

View attachment 340878

View attachment 340882

View attachment 340885

Entering one of the prison cells. Smaller than most toilets in the UK and held approximately 12 people in a cell with no sanitation.

View attachment 340888

Pictures of women on the walls of the prison.

View attachment 340891

Picture of the toilet block.

View attachment 340894

Inside the prison block.

View attachment 340899

Entering the prison courtyard

View attachment 340903

View attachment 340906

The courtyard

View attachment 340910

View attachment 340915

Around the courtyard