real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Various Civils Structures - South Wales - 2019/2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Various Civils Structures - South Wales - 2019/2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Diantoga

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First 'report' post! Feedback very welcome...

Occasionally as part of my job I get to go to see places that a lot of people wouldn’t – some more exciting than others. It’s not really urban exploring but I thought these might be of interest to some and worth sharing! Keeping details to a minimum because it is work-related and do require permission, as they're on residential land/ require a key to access. They're all from different parts of the road network in South Wales.

First off is a viaduct I’ve been visiting regularly. It’s in pretty poor condition so we’ve been keeping an eye on one side of it particularly for any signs of impending collapse. Most structures tend to give plenty of warning when they’re about to fall down, so you can see how they deteriorate especially in this case when you're visiting regularly enough. This viaduct goes over a medium-sized gorge with a fairly narrow river at the bottom and trees lining both sides. The site is pretty isolated too, which makes for a very peaceful place to be with the sound of the river rushing at the bottom. There’s also houses at either end of the viaduct as well, but more on that later… It was one of the first structures built using reinforced concrete in the early 1900's and was used to allow tanks to cross the river, so they were pretty conservative with everything!

Some general shots to soak in the atmosphere...

The usual site isn’t very exciting on this side, but one day we came down to find some creative types had made it into a hangout using the concrete 'buttress' type things that stick out of the wall. I thought it was pretty ingenuitive so I took some photos - can't really blame them as it's a really pleasant spot to sit, just a shame about all the litter...

Next is another bonus of my job… loads of dogs! This is the puppy who lived at the house adjacent; she’d always come visit us when we came down.

And on the other side...

So because the land the viaduct goes over is actually owned by the homeowners adjacent at either end, it means they can do what they like with it! A workshop with riverside views… absolutely stunning! The owner used some telegraph poles that were going spare plus an old bed frame to support the raised platform.

Onto another structure now... this is the abutment/ end of a bridge that spans over a wider river. It's got a viaduct over land at one side
and the river bridge on the other

Bit less interesting but one of those things you might come across and wonder what’s inside cos it's very dark trying to peer through the gate...

Well, lots of water and some leftover electrical equipment! The bridge it supports goes over a tidal river, and there’s a gap under the wall facing the river that the water can flow into but not out of, so it’s very wet. They did some repairs recently, hence the leftovers.

And lastly, bit of fun I found whilst looking through historic info – bit of a tight fit! This was from back in the 80’s doing some investigative work inside a post-tensioned bridge deck. They drill in to expose the tendons inside the concrete beams and look through the hole with an endoscope to check for rusting/ defects, before covering it up again with repair concrete. Never done it myself but I hear it's very dusty!

Hope was of some interest, again feedback very welcome and happy to answer any questions if anyone's curious :)

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: