real time web analytics
Report - - Various Warehouse Construction Sites, Essex 2019-2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Various Warehouse Construction Sites, Essex 2019-2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Philosophy

At first this post might seem a little bland, but bear with me as it gets better across the entries, and I hope to add to continue adding to it. Building sites may seem a bit of a soulless if not strange thing to explore for their own sake, but I actually think it helps to remind us what urban exploration is truly about at heart. Abandonments are so popular now, there is often little actual sense of genuine new discovery. Furthermore, we end up documenting the same structures that everyone else has before. Construction sites provide a glimpse at a transient environment that you know will be totally different in only a few weeks time. You'll be the only one to capture that time and place in history, and can look back on these developments when they're functioning years into the future and say 'I saw that inside out from day one'. Furthermore, urbex at heart is about exploring the manmade environment that surrounds us. Building sites indeed form a key part of the places we inhabit, so who can blame me for wanting to get up close and personal.

This is why I ended up training my eagle eye for industrial developments being constructed around me in south Essex. Over the past century, the area has become transformed from a quaint rural expanse of suburbs to somewhere competitively developed for housing and commerce given its vital roadways and railways to and from London. These developments which seem incredibly mundane now form part of the story of the changing landscape. And besides, if these big developers wanna keep taking architectural dumps all over our backyard, who says we haven't got a right to experience them first hand. ;)

Background

This set of loosley-connected explores began back in 2019 when I was finishing up my uni degree and basically busting my proverbial camera bag for an explore. After a brief hiatus I realised that urbex was basically what I wanted to do and was going to essentially become my life in absence of the social interaction I had at the time. Which turned out to be true! I was previously strictly a historical explorer (still my forte) but I'd become aware of the growing interest in rooftopping and inner city sites etc. I've never been much good at that, but I do admire the way it makes you try harder to access active places more creatively. Being so desperate, I was willing to think outside the box and try anything to get the juices flowing again, so as soon as a local warehouse site began construction, I called up my mate and said we're gonna give it a try. The good thing about not living in a city is that things can be way more discreet and less secure, and if a building site backs onto fields, job's a gooden.

One thing also to note is that all these photographs are long exposures largely taken in pitch-black darkness with the exception of light pollution.

Explore 1 - Canvey Warehouse (April 2019)

This was the first attempt, conquered in brief return to home turf. One thing I've learned is key with this, is to always take the longer safer route. You'll soon find out why, but luckily the learning curve only had to be learnt once. This fairly small building site at the time emerged on an area of fields I had once rambled through as a kid, with an abandoned farming complex isolated in the middle. This sat alongside the building development, which at the time was not much more than a load of flattened mud and a frame-like skeleton of a warehouse. I believe this is set to become a storage/trade unit for UK Shelving - how characterful. I also heard it might be a Screwfix but not sure about that.

Basically, we climbed in through the back over what was no more than a simple wooden palisade at waist height. After trekking through the fields we climbed up on the huge mountain of earth which had been deposited at one end. After taking pictures of ships fuelling up in the Thames Estuary, we peered down into the site from the cover of the mound to plan our route. After judging it to be unmanned, we crawled our way down onto the road-to-be running past the warehouse. Pretty rusty to the hobby and a bit terrified, as well as having to convince my mate this wasn't criminal, we inched our way to the warehouse. After taking a quick snap from the edge of the interior, we decided to take the quick way out given that not a soul was around. This is when being about a metre from the flimsy wooden gate, my mate pointed out a black sphere on a post that resembled an alarm. Next thing we knew, we were legging it down the road and into the darkness with an extremely loud alarm blaring throughout the entire area, whistling and repeating the message 'the police are on their way'. After making it far away enough, we realised we'd escaped. But it was a lesson learnt - never get complacent, it ain't over till its over.

Agriculture vs. Industry - this image of a small derelict farm building contrasted against the new development is a metaphor for the wider change the area is seeing

Peering in from the mound. An old oil refinery jetty is visible behind (one of my first childhood explores)

A Martian landscape

We joked 'there's no way we'd ever have the guts to climb that scaffold tower in the corner'

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Explore 2 - Canvey Warehouses (April 2021)

I ended up revisiting this same construction site two years on. Progress must be slow because it still wasn't complete, although I believe its now pretty much just finished with businesses ready to move in. By this time, the structures were far more complete and there were now several huge warehouses. However, they were still empty, unsecure and the hopeless wooden fence remained in place. I was strolling past the area with my other friend who would feature in subsequent explores, and we took a night stroll past the old abandoned oil refinery jetties which provide a great view of Fobbing Creek. On the way back, we decided to take a peek at this site as its paltry fence was just asking for attention. I had left my wide angle lens in the car, so I had to settle for standard focal length. Nonetheless, these warehouses still came out great with the light beyond creating some awesome shadows within the hollow shells.

Love those light rays

Attachments

• canveywarehouse-1.jpg
    canveywarehouse-1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 37
  • canveywarehouse-3.jpg
    canveywarehouse-3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 42

Wastelandr

Regular User
Explore 3 - Wickford Warehouse No.1 (May 2021)

These explores aren't by any means a list of all the construction sites I've visited. As we all know, even the derps on are often on construction sites. But I felt like these linked together into a nice natural progression, and probably worked better as a thread of posts rather than being interesting enough to warrant a post each. For the next site, we wanted something a bit more challenging and rewarding. Whilst driving, I spotted a massive storage complex being built from the roadside. I remember driving along and gawping at the size and potential (I only do that for explores before anyone starts making accusations ;)). I didn't think it would be possible considering how mega it looked from the front end facing the road. Problem is is that its at the corner of two main roads, and the only way to reach it was to go on a hike through fields and follow one of the few tracks crossing the railway line which enclosed the site even further. Only one edge of the site backed onto fields.

After some deliberating with where to park and the route to walk, we eventually made it to the site. We painstakingly crossed an overgrown ditch and once again were surprised by the lack of apparent security when approaching a site from the back-end (again no puns please). Life lesson: when you're presented with an inviting gap, do not hesitate to penetrate it. Sheepishly climbing our way across another mudscape, we again peered in at our next target from another customary mountain of mud. The far end of the site near the road had big spotlights on, possible security or even workers holed up in. So we would have to keep to the shadows at the back of the site and approach the buildings this way. At this time, the furthest building was only a skeleton so we decided to focus on the more complete and nearest of the two. After some initial apprehension, we soon became familiar and comfortable with our environment, keeping our escape route in the back of our heads at all times and trying to avoid any pipe ditches or potential live wire spots.

We entered the warehouse and was blown away by the scale. It even had a second floor at the near end for offices, and branched off in an L-shape. Whatever company will use this is going to be pretty big. Maybe not Amazon, but something close. I'm glad I had the wide angle lens this time.

As we approached the building, we decided to take a few shots of the ground floor. The skylights really helped make what would otherwise have been a pretty dark and plain interior. We saw some kind of beeping green light in front of us as we made our way into the warehouse, so we decided to back out. It could've been one of these armadillos, or maybe just an sensor, but I don't think we could've got much closer either way. We then returned to the outside corner which had a set of concrete steps freshly cast facing the exterior and completely open to the elements. We climbed up them a short way to the office floor above, which had various hanging air vent and pipework pieces hanging from the high ceiling. It gave us a good view out the window across the site, with some cool eerie views of the trainline as trains went past every so often. On our way out, we noticed a huge scaffold tower of steps up the side of the building for roofing. It was really late now and we were tired and hungry as heck, so we decided to not attempt it despite it being easy. Plus, we weren't sure if we could handle the height, me having bottled that up the Canvey warehouse back in 2019.

Escher's impossible stairs

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Explore 4 - Wickford Warehouse No.2 (July 2021)

So having not quite seen the whole of the massive complex on our first visit, we were keen to return. We had our eyes on the second further warehouse and the scaffold tower, although we weren't sure if we'd be able to stomach it or if it was safe. This time, the farm track gate was shut so we had to go on an actual hike through wheat fields to reach it. Arriving about an hour after departing, we reached our previous access point. The mud had been shifted around, leaving a big flooded section near our access. Despite this, the only fence was black plastic anti-wildlife sheeting requiring little more than a step over. After making our way over to the buildings, we could hear a low rumble of a generator. At first we thought it was for a secca hut, but that would have been at the opposite end of the site. Maybe they ran power from here over to there. Having been put off slightly by this sound and the fact we covered it before, we decided to concentrate on the far building which had now become similarly complete to the first building. The scaffold tower had now been removed from the first building much to our dismay, assuming the roofing to be finished. However, to our luck it had now been placed on the second warehouse. Problem was, not only was this much closer to the main road, the tower practically looked out upon it. We edged our way closer, and the road with cars driving past was fully exposed without the cover of any kind of hedges, only a flimsy see-through Heras fence. We kept a low profile and worked our way near. It's a funny feeling to hike for miles through fields to reach a road I drive along every week, but it was too busy and lacking in pavement to be used for access, so as I learnt back in 2019, the long way round is the best.

Eyeing up the potential

We managed to gain access to the step tower after some discussion. Having made it all the way into the site and to the steps, the victory so far spurred us on and we started climbing with little hesitation. Still getting a bit jelly legged by the thin mesh floors which felt already dented by workers' boots, I felt surprisingly confident. Practise with heights was evidently was making me nearer to (yet still a long way from) perfect. At the top of the tower about 40m or so in the air, we nervously took some shots balancing my tripod on the dodgy mesh floor. I'll never know how people manage long exposures from non-horizontal surfaces like cranes. We could look out for some distance across the roads thousands of people commute every day, and watch the world go by. My mate decided he would try to at least set one foot on the warehouse roof, despite my advice that it might not have been built to support weight soon as this temporary tower was the only roof access and meant only for initial construction, as indicated by the rolls of fresh insulation sitting up there waiting. There was a sizable gap of about a metre between the tower and the rooftop, so my friend firmly held onto the scaffold and lowered one foot onto the lip of the building. The whole thing was no more than a thin plastic gutter-like rim and it flexed suddenly under his weight. After I shouted 'don't go any further', he decided to return to the ironic safety of the tower. The whole roof edge would've given way and fallen crashing many metres to the ground had he attempted to cross the gap, likely with him. But fair play, he had guts to even try it, and he was cautious enough to not commit to it.

Nice shot from half way up the tower of the train and cars going by simultaneously

After hobbling back down to the bottom of the tower; jelly legs and tripod-squat having killed my knees' ability to bend, we were chuffed with our success. We saw this building now also had a concrete stairwell inside like the first. It led to a similar office space which I didn't bother to photograph, with dividing walls and rooms of plasterboard having been put in to begin to transform the concrete and aluminium shell into a functional place of work. After this, we posed with the digger (pictured top of the article) and headed back to the cars, just in time to book tickets to visit Orford Ness before they sold out from my phone whilst strolling through the wheat fields trying not to sprain an ankle. Mission complete. I hope to venture out to visit more interesting places in the early days of their lifespans, so hopefully there will eventually be some more additions to this thread.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Pretty cool compilation, what goes up is still an explore. Its documents buildings from beginning of life and end of life. All is needed for social history.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Pretty cool compilation, what goes up is still an explore. Its documents buildings from beginning of life and end of life. All is needed for social history.

Glad to hear it. That is indeed very true :) It makes for a fun challenge trying these sorts of 'clean' locations

Wastelandr

Regular User
It's time for another update to what might become a bit of a megathread, which I think I will use to cover all the new builds in the area I explore. They're not always going to be worth their own post. This time another building site challenge, although rather than industrial, this was some apartments in Hadleigh (if a moderator is able to change the name of this thread to Various New Construction Sites or similar that would be great).

Explore 5 - Hadleigh Apartments & Crane (October 2021)

The crane and the castle

So this site I've been eyeing up for ages now, and I'm surprised its been there as long as it has. I've never done a building site crane of this kind before so I didn't actually expect success. After giving access a recce back in July, I found myself round the corner for a Turkish. Meal consumed, we decided to have a quick look. Before we know it, we were sneaking through a flat's communal garden to reach the site boundary. Fortunately no eyelids batted. When we were in we climbed the scafforld and a very creaky ladder to the top of the half-built apartment block, only to realise the crane was not accessible from up here. In fact the crane was entirely inaccessible officially, standing stranded in what will become the lift shaft of the flats. This involved a sketchy leap to the crane across the gap two floors up, grabbing onto the outside after leaning over the void. Once we were on it was a pretty quick and effortless climb, or maybe I'm just getting better. But ample platforms allowed plenty of checkpoints and rests! Success. Photo quality is a bit shocking btw as I was bricking it too much to bother with the tripod, regrettably.

Attachments

• craneclimb-4.jpg
    craneclimb-4.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 36
  • craneclimb-3.jpg
    craneclimb-3.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 34