real time web analytics
Report - - Vernon Oaks ram pumphouse - Uttoxeter - March 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Vernon Oaks ram pumphouse - Uttoxeter - March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Tucked away in Vernon Oaks plantation hides this little red brick pump house.
The building now with a collapsed slate roof contains a double ram reciprocating pump. This was driven by steam engine and pumped water from the borehole detailed on the borehole register (see photos) to supply Vernon Oaks farm (now called Sudbury Manor) and the nearby cottages on the roadside next adjacent.
The steam engine is unfortunately missing but the vertical steam boiler is lying half burried in the nettles and wild garlic.
The steam engine could have also driven the line shaft on the ceiling that would in turn have driven any other machinery connected by belt to the pulleys.
An electric motor driven multistage pump has been installed at a later date to replace the ram pump but this is also disused and nowhere near as impressive as the ram pump. Pipework on the electric pump and the orientation of the none return valves confirm that this also pumped from the borehole and out of the building.
History was difficult to come by for this one and unfortunately the Borehole scan is pretty vague and gives no depth, date or water chemistry.

The explore
The route through the plantation is very overgrown with nettles and the biggest most vicious triffids like thistles I've ever seen.
The stream running through the woodland is tranquil and surrounded by wild garlic.
A nice stroll on a dry day but I imagine due to ground water and a the stream it could get very boggy.

And off we go into the woods

Maps and borehole data

See note, supply's Vernon Oaks Farm and cottages.

Electric motor driven multistage pump

Suction pipe

None return valve on discharge pipe.

One of my favourites finds so far and I can help but wonder what the steam engine was like.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks familiar, https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/rural-pump-houses-2019-2021.130629/

Did you look for the hydraulic ram shown on the map?
Yes it's the same one, I recognised it as soon as I walked through the door.
I didn't look for the ram as I iwas loosing light. I doubt I'd have found it with the overgrowth. I'm gonna go back over that way to check out something else that looked interesting so might pop back.
When trawling the old maps I noticed the hydraulic ram was shown in the early 1900s where the engine house appears later. I'm gonna guess the steam pump replaced the ram. Might be one for winter when all the greenery has died back

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
These pump houses are rather special imo. I really like them. Nice images.