real time web analytics
General - - vickers/british aerospace underground hospital | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - vickers/british aerospace underground hospital

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

frimleypicker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i'm new to this site but i thought i'd share a memory.
as a youngster i used to frequent the brooklands racetrack and surrounding areas,british aerospace were still in residence and aircraft were still being built there,fast forward 10 years or so and british aerospace were gone but a lot of the infrastructure was still there,across the road from the main offices was the staff car park which had a labrynth of air raid shelters built into st.georges hill.in this car park was a large ramp which was the entrance to a large underground hospital,i went into it once and it appeared that it could still be used.operating theatres had been mothballed,wards were still in useable condition etc.,that ramp was filled in when the car park was used for the large gym that was built there.there was/is just a large mound there and i was wondering if anybody else remembers it or am i the only old git who used to snoop where he shouldn't have?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don't buy it. What era was it from? Why is there no record of it? When the factory was bombed in the war nobody was treated there, why not?

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
I haven't heard of the hospital but i had a permission visit around the place a fair few years ago. They took me in a few of the shelters there including the tunnel that runs under the test track. There are loads of shelters all over the place. Still there today including a workshop storage area directly under the actual track. I have pictures of it all i think.

frimleypicker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i can only presume it was built for when vickers was a target in ww2,as to nobody being treated there how do you know?

i wish i'd had the foresight to take pictures back in the day,the whole vickers/bae site was very interesting.all the really interesting stuff was knocked down to make way for the large trading estate and tescos etc.
there was even a farm within the boundaries of the site.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well, when the place was bombed there are accurate records as to who was treated where. They were all at external hospitals.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Welcome, and interesting first post:

What year was your 'explore' as it seems strange it is not documented elsewhere!

It was not un-common for large factories to have 'First Aid Posts' and even a stretcher trolley or two, but I have never seen proof of anything larger or operating theatres which required the services of Surgeons, Doctors & Nurses who were required elsewhere, even on operational airfields which sometimes had larger 'Medical Reception Centres' with perhaps a Medical Officer & Orderlies.

So lets have some dates of visits (month & year will do) and perhaps drawings pinpointing the location better.

Last edited:

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
These are the pictures i took. Not that exciting but might help locate something or help you remember!

DSCF0067_zpsknxb1pom.jpg

DSCF0064_zpsgzdg6gwq.jpg

DSCF0063_zpsp3rtb9qi.jpg

DSCF0056_zpsoacrubli.jpg

DSCF0055_zps1zrreom7.jpg

DSCF0053_zpsqxi7jszz.jpg

DSCF0044_zpsapdhzokz.jpg

DSCF0036_zpsjzl9nndn.jpg

DSCF0033_zpsoct7tfkw.jpg

DSCF0025_zpskppe3mbn.jpg

DSCF0024_zpsobydrpma.jpg

DSCF0023_zpsfrvcvctf.jpg

DSCF0022_zps8kmccmyg.jpg

DSCF0021_zpso85d8sbk.jpg

DSCF0015_zpsz42bstqo.jpg

DSCF0013_zpsy4nubit6.jpg

DSCF0011_zpsak7mdhhz.jpg

DSCF0008_zpsfvellpk4.jpg

DSCF0004_zps4gc4atdu.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsdpaojinr.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsyvawbp9e.jpg

DSCF0069_zpsx6mm9lwi.jpg

frimleypicker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome, and interesting first post:

What year was your 'explore' as it seems strange it is not documented elsewhere!

It was not un-common for large factories to have 'First Aid Posts' and even a stretcher trolley or two, but I have never seen proof of anything larger or operating theatres which required the services of Surgeons, Doctors & Nurses who were required elsewhere, even on operational airfields which sometimes had larger 'Medical Reception Centres' with perhaps a Medical Officer & Orderlies.

So lets have some dates of visits (month & year will do) and perhaps drawings pinpointing the location better.

dates of visits,i cannot remember what i had for breakfast!
every bit of free time i had between 1975 and approx 1990ish.the hospital may have been built by bae rather than vickers,i'm not really sure about that one.
i'll see if i can get a grid reference for where it was,tbh i'm a bit peeved that i seem to be doubted.

frimleypicker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These are the pictures i took. Not that exciting but might help locate something or help you remember!

DSCF0067_zpsknxb1pom.jpg

DSCF0064_zpsgzdg6gwq.jpg

DSCF0063_zpsp3rtb9qi.jpg

DSCF0056_zpsoacrubli.jpg

DSCF0055_zps1zrreom7.jpg

DSCF0053_zpsqxi7jszz.jpg

DSCF0044_zpsapdhzokz.jpg

DSCF0036_zpsjzl9nndn.jpg

DSCF0033_zpsoct7tfkw.jpg

DSCF0025_zpskppe3mbn.jpg

DSCF0024_zpsobydrpma.jpg

DSCF0023_zpsfrvcvctf.jpg

DSCF0022_zps8kmccmyg.jpg

DSCF0021_zpso85d8sbk.jpg

DSCF0015_zpsz42bstqo.jpg

DSCF0013_zpsy4nubit6.jpg

DSCF0011_zpsak7mdhhz.jpg

DSCF0008_zpsfvellpk4.jpg

DSCF0004_zps4gc4atdu.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsdpaojinr.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsyvawbp9e.jpg

DSCF0069_zpsx6mm9lwi.jpg
those pics bring back memories!the pic of the building at the top of test hill had an aa gun emplacement next to it and was filled with old fairground rides back in the day.the entrance to the pedestrian tunnel/workshops holds some very spooky memories.do the words 'get the bikes' mean anything to mr.neil smythies who i believe is something to do with this site?

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
I do not doubt you, but if anything remains researchers need to pinpoint the area, but I think you saw the remains of a 'First Aid Clearing Post' of which there were more than one at Brookland's during the war, as well as smaller 'Sick Bays' in the shelter complex.

Factory ARP & Rescue were tasked to prioritise and disperse the dead and injured to nearby hospitals & mortuaries, and this account of the first 1940 raid shows how it all went wrong, but was more successful on later raids.

http://www.guildford-dragon.com/201...raid-horsley-messerschmitts-september-4-1940/

Last edited:

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Wow very deep conversation and extremely interesting. Can't wait to see what mystery is dug up here. Keep up the good work. Who knows what will be found.

frimleypicker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i'm trying to find a map which shows the old car park but to no avail.
i've just looked at an aerial view but things have changed a lot in that car park,i'm going to go and have a look.