real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches Manchester April 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria Arches Manchester April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

troubleuk

here comes trouble ....
28DL Full Member
after deciding what to do on a wet miserable day me and tommytucka decided to hit the arches

a bit off the history of the place

The Victoria Arches were a series of arches built in the embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats and as World War II air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases which descended from Victoria Street.
Regular flooding of the river resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, following which the arches were used for general storage. In World War II they were converted into air raid shelters. The arches are now bricked up and inaccessible; the staircases were removed in the latter part of the 20th century.

I never find anything in this safe maybe somebody could leave me a pound :(

DSCF0012.jpg

This was to open and shut the ventilation system for the arches

DSCF0006.jpg

The motor to run the ventilation system

DSCF0008.jpg

A old gas lamp maybe ?

DSCF0007.jpg

A pair of shoes did ask tommy to try them on but they was not his style he like the high heels ones

DSCF0014.jpg

One of many old ventilation pipes that run through the arches

DSCF0022.jpg

Old fireplace maybe

DSCF0021.jpg

Maybe a old light switch

DSCF0016.jpg

Could have done with some good lights in here after nearly falling down a hole :eek:

DSCF9890.jpg

One off many corridors in this place and to the left some 28d later fans i see :wanker

DSCF9909.jpg

DSCF9898.jpg

Now onto the gents toilets

DSCF9910.jpg

DSCF9912.jpg

DSCF9916.jpg

DSCF9917.jpg

DSCF9913.jpg

One off three bricked up entrances to the road level

DSCF0073.jpg

One off the seventeen arches not including the side ones where i think i counted five in total

DSCF0092.jpg

Thought i could smell some fresh

DSCF0095.jpg

A few sneaky shots outside before deciding to pack up and leave after covering the whole of the arches

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

Thanks for looking

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details