real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches, Manchester - July 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria Arches, Manchester - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Victoria Arches

2m4pqux.jpg

Another report from this Manchester classic, shouts to @Bigjobs for sorting it all out and giving me a hand on the way out. Visited with @Moose (formerly TunnelMon) along with @NickUk

The Victoria Arches are a series of bricked-up arches built in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for steam packet riverboats and as Second World War air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases that descended from Victoria Street. Regular flooding resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, and the arches were later used for general storage. Following the outbreak of the Second World War they were converted into air raid shelters. They are now bricked up and inaccessible, the staircases having been removed in the latter part of the 20th century.
Turns out one of my mate's dads worked on this place back when the scaff was up, he had a fair few stories to share!

20koc5v.jpg

25irx8h.jpg

2eevl0p.jpg

2uf9b12.jpg

2qanytw.jpg

2dtuhar.jpg

2r3blo0.jpg

2dbw9j4.jpg

2meo5sn.jpg

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Very nicely done that mate. What is it with people scrawling their silly usernames on the urinals. ;)

Last edited:

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nicely done that mate. What is it with people scrawling their silly usernames on the urinals. ;)
Had a few torch issues so not as nice as I'd hoped, but cheers anyway. And I wish I knew mate...there was a certain 'Aickindroy' on the one in the picture above :p

Lescam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's an article about this place in this week's Stretford and Urmston Messenger, with the guy who took the pictures. Think the uniforms will be upping their game after reading it

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
There's an article about this place in this week's Stretford and Urmston Messenger, with the guy who took the pictures. Think the uniforms will be upping their game after reading it
I doubt it, it's been no secret that people have been going in regularly and posting public pictures, for the last ten years. Also the guy in the article isn't Bolts.

Last edited:

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
You should really stop hanging around in urinals with men mate. Look what happened to George Michael...

Ha top report man. Good to see some of these mcr reports.

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, as Nickindroy said that wasn't me and likely won't make any difference to this place. The only people who are really bothered are the construction company working 'next door' and even then they can't do much about it

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You should really stop hanging around in urinals with men mate. Look what happened to George Michael...

Ha top report man. Good to see some of these mcr reports.
I think Moose has a bit of a horror story to tell involving these toilets but I'll leave that for another time ;)
Cheers! I didn't really touch Manchester for a while but with so much there (and the fact that it's my hometown) I couldn't really stay away...

Lescam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The lad that sent the pictures to our local rag is called Matthew Holmes by the way

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
The MEN have run articles on the arches once a month for the last 5 years so I doubt there would be a clamp down.

Decent pics mate