real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches, Manchester - March 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria Arches, Manchester - March 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with Humpa, p1g30n and rockford

History stolen from Wikipedia:
The Victoria Arches were a series of arches built in the embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats and as World War II air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases which descended from Victoria Street.

Regular flooding of the river resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, following which the arches were used for general storage. In World War II they were converted into air raid shelters. The arches are now bricked up and inaccessible; the staircases were removed in the latter part of the 20th century.
Some more interesting information here.

Somewhere that I've been wanting to visit for a while, finally managed to get in after a few recent failures and I wasn't disappointed. Whilst there's not a great deal of things to see inside it's a pretty awesome place to look around.

Whilst I'm not really adding anything new or unseen with this report, it was arguably one of my most enjoyable explores, so cheers to the other guys for coming along! :)

_DSC0100.jpg

_DSC0105.jpg

_DSC0106.jpg

_DSC0109.jpg

_DSC0112.jpg

_DSC0117.jpg

_DSC0119.jpg

_DSC0124.jpg

_DSC0126.jpg

_DSC0139.jpg

_DSC0141.jpg

_DSC0143.jpg