Web
Analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches, Manchester - Oct 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Victoria Arches, Manchester - Oct 2017

Six

Super Moderator
Staff member
Explore:
Some of my favourite explores have been due to the ridiculous ways I've accessed them or the huge amount of effort that has gone into research rather than because I've found the actual location particularly interesting or photogenic . Victoria Arches pretty much ticked all the boxes for access / history and interest when physically being there.
I've really only had a handful of moments over the last 12 or so years where I've actually questioned my sanity and out loud asked myself what the fuck I'm doing, but as I battled a pigeon to the face and the fear of the unknown access wise this was definitely one of those moments. Luckily it was all good fun and I thoroughly enjoy a good dose of adrenaline so massive thanks go to Ojay and Lee for ensuring that I didn't die and all my terror was totally unneeded. :D

History:
"The Victoria Arches are a series of bricked-up arches built in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for steam packet riverboats and as Second World War air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases that descended from Victoria Street.[1]

Regular flooding resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, and the arches were later used for general storage. Following the outbreak of the Second World War they were converted into air raid shelters. They are now bricked up and inaccessible, the staircases having been removed in the latter part of the 20th century."

Attachments

Last edited:

Six

Super Moderator
Staff member

Maybe I shouldn't be so lazy when it comes to taking pictures in the dark lol.

UrbanZ

ERROR 401
Regular User
Fun access always makes for a better explore.

Great report with good pics :thumb

Six

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

Yeah the pigeons are lethal, I was told there aren't usually as many as there were on our visit!

Lavino

28ÐŁ ƦEGUŁλƦ U$EƦ
Regular User
Great report and photos can’t beat the walk of death while beating of the pigeons.