real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria/Waterloo Tunnel and Byrom St cutting, Liverpool - Feb 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria/Waterloo Tunnel and Byrom St cutting, Liverpool - Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We decided to do the Wapping and Waterloo tunnels in one day, which everyone knows is the Scouse Urbex version of the Three Peaks Challenge.

The day got off to a great start when we went to a car boot sale and somebody gave me a Sigma lens case and a huge Justin Beiber canvas for free:

mkg2cFY.jpg

SCORE. I wanted to hang it up on the tunnel wall and take some surreal pictures, but it was too bulky to get down the slope. Maybe I'll apply for an Arts Council grant.

Been in the Wapping a few times (but I'm saving my report until we've got hold of an inflatable boat). The dear old Waterloo isn't as historically interesting as the Wapping, but it's a mighty impressive bit of engineering. The cutting at Byrom Street is remarkable - it's basically in the city centre but it's remarkably calm and quiet. There's also a bunch of CDs hanging 40ft up on tree branches, which is just odd.

The Waterloo and Victoria tunnels were built in 1849 to link the freight facilities at Edge Hill with the Waterloo Goods station in the northern docks. From the docks, trains were loco-hauled through the half-mile Waterloo Tunnel to a cutting near Byrom Street, where they were attached to a huge iron cable (early steam locomotives couldn't cope with the steep-ass gradient) and pulled another 1.5 miles uphill through the Victoria Tunnel.
Although most people think of it as one long tunnel with a gap in the middle, the two tunnels have slightly different profiles. The Vic has straight sides and is often cut through raw stone, The Waterloo is circular and brick-lined throughout.

Eventually the massive 3.5 mile-long rope kicked the bucket, so trains switched to locomotive haulage. Passengers also travelled through the tunnel to reach Riverside Station at the Pier Head.
The tunnel was last used in 1972 and has remained silent ever since, aside from maintenance inspections and idiots with torches and cameras (like me).

6lEcnta.jpg

A car park. Lovely...

GwS0NOi.jpg

...a wild Waterloo Tunnel appears!

5NGUL6r.jpg

KD5hxsl.jpg

The first 150 metres or so are infilled to about half the height of the tunnel. it's a less than impressive start.

V2caNMa.jpg

The infilling comes to an end pretty abruptly. Perfect time to set up the bouncy castle. What do you mean, you forgot the bouncy castle?

dAm6XVP.jpg

Strong smell of petrol and some very oily standing water in a few places. Eats away at your soles, and possibly your soul.

6Ac1ntN.jpg

The old telegraph and electric wires have long gone, but the brackets remain.

rkum1G3.jpg

What is it with creepy dismembered dolls in tunnels? This one is missing an arm and both legs.

vpjbf91.jpg

A few stalactites here and there, presumably from water ingress.

mJ7at88.jpg

OHGODOHGODOHGOD

Now where are the legs?

aj9WnZr.jpg

Somebody pinched the numbers off this nice old gradient marker.

WQacbfz.jpg

Yes, it was like this when we found it. Hell of a creepy thing to see in the distance, dimly lit by a single torch beam.

RR9Rckt.jpg

Eight football pitches later, and the Byrom Street cutting in coming into focus.

At the end of the tunnel we find the World's Most Pointless Palisade Fence™ and a towering heap of fly-tipped crap.
My strange Lithuanian friend found a wooden magazine holder and a plastic chain, and carried them back to take home. I wish I was joking.

PM06whU.jpg

Some fly-tipping is more photogenic than others.

g9g97td.jpg

The following pictures are pretty horrible - for some reason my trusty Pentax had serious difficulties with the lighting in the cutting.
No matter how I exposed the shot or what lens I used, I got these horrible washed-out colours and contrast that made everything look like a nasty HDR filter. Anyone else have similar trouble in cuttings?

7HFD4ZJ.jpg

5QnqCAz.jpg

Old platelayers'/workmens' hut. The cutting was gas-lit so the work could continue all through the night.

Z8HFvkT.jpg

The big John Moores campus looms in the distance.

aIsXrAN.jpg

If anyone recognises this man....he's forgotten his 28DL username and would very much like to log back in.

2I4ODUw.jpg

My camera really doesn't like all this foliage and weird lighting! Looking back through the Waterloo tunnel towards the docks.

1ADB7vZ.jpg

If in doubt... shallow depth-of-field. I AM AN ARTIST

Dg2DTLe.jpg

Looking towards Byrom St and the Victoria Tunnel.

zVF74cT.jpg

Vic tunnel again, from a conveniently-placed ladder. Thanks guys!

lUQMFJv.jpg

Waterloo tunnel portal, showing the impressive depth of the cutting.

DKaD8Mj.jpg

The cutting is littered with brick-lined arches of various shape and size.
The main winding engines for the cable haulage were at Edge Hill, but perhaps these were used for additional cable-related things.

YvWiUVF.jpg

Switch technology has clearly come a long way since 1849. Imagine one of these on your kettle!

157p82K.jpg

And now we're in the mouth of the Victoria Tunnel, on the edge of the 1.5-mile abyss. Notice the change in the wall profile - vertical walls now.

xqiKdB0.jpg

Don't bother bringing a tripod, those traffic cones are ideal if you use a bit of duct tape.

8KYN7B4.jpg

Here's the money shot - 1.5 miles of darkness leading to Edge Hill.

NAISnZA.jpg

Time for a quick selfie. My friends did a great job on the light painting, but they suck at pulling focus.

xmxTrlf.jpg

It was getting late and starting to rain, so we made a 'tactical withdrawal' and left the rest of the Vic for another day.
Scrabbling up the muddy slope back to the car park in the rain makes K2 without oxygen look like a piece of piss.

w9X2yws.jpg

There are several refuges in the side walls.
A tunnel inside a tunnel. WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

byd0Ty9.jpg

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll....

I've got a ton of old 'splores to write up, then I'll be going back to take more photos and probably break my ankle on some rusty tracks or something. UNTIL NEXT TIME!

Last edited:

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First post and you nailed it. Nice one and nice pics! :thumb

Looking forward to some more threads! :D

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I enjoyed those mate :thumb

i have to admit i failed at these the other week due to shortage of time & fatique, after spending 6 hours in the Tranmere Shelters....next time :)

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I enjoyed those mate :thumb

i have to admit i failed at these the other week due to shortage of time & fatique, after spending 6 hours in the Tranmere Shelters....next time :)

SIX HOURS? You're a hero. I was a bit worried about the air quality in there, to be honest! I'll pop my pics up soon.
I wonder if anyone has had a go at that big green panel yet. I think the butchers would be willing to he,p..I think all the people visiting the hole gave them a ton of free advertising ;)

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Interesting stuff :thumb hope you put the Beiber canvas where it belongs, in the bin.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like a good mooch and decent photies to boot :thumb
I am ashamed to say that I actually joined the official Justin Beiber fan club and got the badge and bracelet and everything....the things you do to get your kids pre sale tickets, Doh.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
SIX HOURS? You're a hero. I was a bit worried about the air quality in there, to be honest! I'll pop my pics up soon.
I wonder if anyone has had a go at that big green panel yet. I think the butchers would be willing to he,p..I think all the people visiting the hole gave them a ton of free advertising ;)

TBH i was initially concerned about the lack of air/airflow in there and the consequences of collapsing & without a phone signal ( but then i"m used to that with EE:) but got carried away (lost) & forgot about it until i went up one of the shafts via the ladders to photo one of the old fan units that"s capped over and within a few seconds my pulse was racing and i felt faint (lightbulb) GTFO & was ok once back in the tunnels.
As there"s no light coming in & concrete capped i presume it"s a pretty good seal & with no airflow & multiple visits depleting what oxygen there was in there to start with was probably a risk i didn"t think about :rolleyes:

Best thing was i had to go back in after a cuppa as i"d left one of my torches inside :wanker:)

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting stuff :thumb hope you put the Beiber canvas where it belongs, in the bin.

Hell no! That thing is going up int he recording studio alongisde all the Beatles/Zep/Floyd posters. Comedy gold.
I kind of fancy taking it with us on explores like a mascot, get some crazy photos of JB hanging up in all sorts of odd places. I'll be viral on Twitter, just you wait :D

ACID- REFLUX said:
i went up one of the shafts via the ladders to photo one of the old fan units that"s capped over and within a few seconds my pulse was racing and i felt faint (lightbulb)

Exactly what I feared! I would have NOPE'd the living fuck out of there after that. If there's one thing that scares me it's bad air.

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Hell no! That thing is going up int he recording studio alongisde all the Beatles/Zep/Floyd posters. Comedy gold.
I kind of fancy taking it with us on explores like a mascot, get some crazy photos of JB hanging up in all sorts of odd places. I'll be viral on Twitter, just you wait :D
Lol take it down a sewer that's where it belongs, or at least deface it :D