real time web analytics
Report - - Villa de Vecchi (Mussolini's Villa), Rhodes, Greece - October 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Villa de Vecchi (Mussolini's Villa), Rhodes, Greece - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Allegedly this villa, standing high in the hills of Rhodes island, was built for Italian Fascist dictator Butino Mussolini's retirement. In fact, Mussolini never set foot in the villa, having been killed at the end of WW2. It has been standing derelict since 1947 and incredibly, within the last few months, the Greek government has announced they intend to lease the villa in the near future to bring in much needed funds. Which makes me wonder just how bad a nation's finances must be when leasing out derps is considered a means to make income!

HISTORY

The Italianate-style timber and stone Villa De Vecchi was built in 1936 by Count Cesare De Vecchi, a staunch Mussolini loyalist who was appointed governor of the Dodecanese islands, which had been seized by Italy from the Ottoman Turks in 1912.

Despite the islands forming part of Mussolini’s plan to carve out a new Roman empire - he envisioned using Rhodes as a naval base from which he could project Italian power into the Near East - the Fascist dictator never set foot in the villa.

Instead, after being caught trying to flee from northern Italy to Switzerland at the end of the war, he was shot by partisans and his body, along with that of his mistress, was strung up from a petrol station in an act of public retribution.

The villa was abandoned after the Dodecanese were ceded to Greece in 1947.

Now the Greek government’s Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund is offering a 50-year lease on the rundown two-storey villa to help pay off Greece’s monumental debts.

The villa stands at nearly 800m above sea level in a position that offers fantastic views of the Aegean Sea and the Turkish coastline.
01_zpsyynqeku3.jpg

With rather nice architectural features
05_zpsj5qrz5ac.jpg

10_zpsbxehomuu.jpg

09_zpsuaqjdbff.jpg

And a car garage
07_zpsn8qax1xe.jpg

Inside extremely derp-like with graffiti on every wall
15_zps0uqzrrel.jpg

20_zpszjzyeo1e.jpg

23_zpsjfchl4ui.jpg

36_zpsitzooozf.jpg

31_zpsnonwezjl.jpg

21_zpsxva4nbmt.jpg

From it's size, I assume this is the Master Bedroom, to be used by Mussolini himself
27_zpse6p8ji0i.jpg

35_zpsx500bswk.jpg

But for the leader of a major European power, I would had thought the bathroom was going to better than this
30_zpsp0f7uvbg.jpg

In a smaller bedroom, a single bed remains
25_zpsw9sti7v8.jpg

Just outside the villa, is a derelict chapel
37_zps0miacghr.jpg

39_zpsij3avxm6.jpg

Thanks for reading