real time web analytics
Report - - Volcrepe Mill-Glossop-11/8/07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Volcrepe Mill-Glossop-11/8/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

romanian1

Visited with Saul son, Gibbo, Dodgerat, havoc and the new mendoza.

Manufacturers of Rubber mainly for the aerospace industry, but we found documentation to suggest they also supplied the MOD with various bits and pieces from their base at the VC works in Glossop.

It was a fantastic day weather wise for exploring, sun beating down and buoyed by the success of getting into United utilities in ashton and seeing those fantastic maps we headed over to Glossop for a look at this mill, a lead provided by the new mendoza.

I was excited at the prospect right from the start as i love mills even if a lot of the time they tend to be stripped out and generally are very similar on all the floors but this one was slightly different, spread over several level on two sides of the road with a lovely company logo'd bridge joining the two parts.

Looking down the aforementioned road towards the bridge, this should give you a decent idea of the layout, in the shot are TNM and Gibbo to give you an idea of scale.
DSCF6435.jpg

Just inside i found this sign, drugs?!?!
DSCF6438.jpg

Just inside on the ground floor, as you can see its typical mill constuction, iron supporting beams and wooden roof construction with an abundance of windows to provide natural light.
DSCF6436.jpg

Some sort of old machine pit i assume
DSCF6443.jpg

There was still the odd bit of machinery knocking about too but as to what they did, your guess is as good as mine.
DSCF6444.jpg

DSCF6447.jpg

Reflections
DSCF6448.jpg

Myself and Saul in particular really liked this place, we were just going up the stairs in the first part of the mill having not even crossed the bridge when havoc and dodgerat were on their way out, fortunately they all waited patiently for half an hour or so whilst we finished off.

The goods chute from the top floor to the second floor.
DSCF6456.jpg

The roof constuction on the top floor where the goods chute was was amazing
DSCF6460.jpg

So we admired that for a bit before heading for the bridge to the other part.
DSCF6462.jpg

At this point we came across various logbooks and records, some in attractive leather bound books
DSCF6467.jpg

The roof constuction was also different in this part with vaulted brick ceilings.
DSCF6475.jpg

In this office room i found a set of blueprints from 1947 attaining to a conversion of air raid shelters somewhere in the building into a staff canteen, at which point myself and saul got quite excited and obviously set about trying to find the rooms in question delaying our exit yet again and leaving the others sat in the sun outside.
DSCF6482.jpg

DSCF6483.jpg

So having done most of the site but not coming across the former shelters we quickly nipped out into the yard to see if they were in a seperate building, but to no avail.
DSCF6485.jpg

So off we wandered to catch up with the others and onto the next site.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details