real time web analytics
Report - - Wadkin Ltd Woodworking Machinery, Leicester, May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wadkin Ltd Woodworking Machinery, Leicester, May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Took a little while to figure a way in here, but a combined effort between my 3 companions did the trick. (I helped…. well… someone has to be “lookout†:-D lol)
Was a quite frustrating place at times, as there is another area, but lots of locked doors and doors locked/screwed into place meant we couldn’t get to the other side of it… not to say that there isn’t a way, just that we didn’t find it.
As Matt Inked mentioned on his report, what would have been a rather comical greeting with security was narrowly avoided.. bit of an error there on my part… sorry guys! *Peer through a window, ah, the TV is on… oh, just the tennis… not very interesting… wonder who’s playing* then a millisecond later of realisation.....
Even though pretty stripped, the place is still interesting to wander about, and bigger than I expected it to be.
Visited with Hamtagger, Matt Inked and Session 9, thanks for the invite HT and ‘twas a fun day out indeed guys

Newspaper cutting from 2010: -
Wadkin, of Bardon, near Coalville, closes | Leicester Mercury

History – from wadkin.com: -
In 1897 John Wadkin founded the company alongside brother in law Mr W Jarvis. The company was formed following an idea to invent a machine that would be so versatile that it could carry out operations that were originally done by hand. John Wadkin titled this machine, "a pattern milling machine" Mr Wadkin eventually left the company. Jarvis then acquired the help of Wallace Goddard with the intention to expand the business.
Mr Jarvis became acquainted with a Greek gentleman by the name of Ionades who invented an advanced carburettor. General Motors in the US confirmed that they were interested and invited Mr Jarvis for a meeting to discuss, which led to Mr Jarvis booking a place on the Titanic as a means of travel and the disastrous result that he went down with the ill-fated liner.
This left Goddard with a business in Leicester and no-one to run it. Luckily he had a son that took charge and this continued until 1927 when Mr J Wallace passed away.
The 1914-1918 war saw the Government ask Wadkin for help to develop a machine that could turn out wooden propellers for the R.A.F. at a high-speed rate.
In the 1920's the development of the integral electric drive led to the introduction of more efficient types of woodworking machines.
In the 1930's Wadkin extended their range, entering the high technology market making larger, high production woodworking machines
The first Wadkin numerically controlled machine was produced in 1956
From the 1990's Wadkin recognised the need to develop back up service support to its machine customers, and developed a nationwide network of engineers in developing its customer response team.
In 2010 following the liquidation of Wadkin Limited, the intellectual property rights were purchased by Nottingham based woodworking machinery distributors and manufacturers A L Dalton Ltd.
Today Wadkin continues to offer woodworking machines from its new home in Nottingham.

wadkinsltd101_zpsa8525a29.jpg

wadkinsltd102_zpsb34c2710.jpg

wadkinsltd080_zps29ebde87.jpg

wadkinsltd075_zps70334ccf.jpg

wadkinsltd072_zps61b2c5da.jpg

wadkinsltd065_zpsde5d0d3a.jpg

wadkinsltd063_zps4b20eafc.jpg

wadkinsltd058_zpse72be997.jpg

wadkinsltd057_zps1330d5e4.jpg

wadkinsltd054_zpsfa227270.jpg

wadkinsltd052_zps2dbf00a2.jpg

wadkinsltd051_zpsf12e54a3.jpg

wadkinsltd043_zpsc4f9bcaa.jpg

wadkinsltd040_zps4961acfb.jpg

wadkinsltd037_zps31f92f92.jpg

wadkinsltd028_zps6d8c2b95.jpg

wadkinsltd018_zps894ce3da.jpg

wadkinsltd007_zps0e35776f.jpg

Cat.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report :)
It's always good to see the different pictures a fellow explorer got when you go somewhere together. I still think we should have taken pictures of the Security guard, it would have been quite amusing :D

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cool, glad to see you got to see some good stuff to make the drive worth while!

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I still think we should have taken pictures of the Security guard, it would have been quite amusing :D

Lol.... I was just mortified that i was still actually standing there.... watching tennis through the window.... ffs... I may as well have just knocked on the door and sat down on the settee ... just goes to show what having two hours sleep the previous night does!
by the time i got back home after going from here to Brum, i calculated that id been awake for 43 hours....

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Cool, glad to see you got to see some good stuff to make the drive worth while!

Cheers! theres another part which eluded us due to locked doors / screwed in doors... but after another look at some of my roof photos, Im thinking now that theres a way in to the 'locked' sections....
hopefully someone will crack it... Id be interested to see beyond those doors ;)

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lol.... I was just mortified that i was still actually standing there.... watching tennis through the window.... ffs... I may as well have just knocked on the door and sat down on the settee ... just goes to show what having two hours sleep the previous night does!
by the time i got back home after going from here to Brum, i calculated that id been awake for 43 hours....

It proves how dumb the guard actually was though, we weren't exactly being silent in that area.
43 hours! Holy :turd That would kill me, I could hardly stand in Whittle's Factory. Did you have any luck in Birmingham?

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its not a bad place this it looks like you got to some areas that i missed and maybe you didnt see some of the areas i saw things have changed as there wasnt any security when i went. My visit was cut short when i tripped the alarm near to the live bit next door. Took me about 10 minutes to get in and 30 seconds to get out. Oh i nearly forgot some canny shots you have there glad your weekend went well after all.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Its not a bad place this it looks like you got to some areas that i missed and maybe you didnt see some of the areas i saw things have changed as there wasnt any security when i went. My visit was cut short when i tripped the alarm near to the live bit next door. Took me about 10 minutes to get in and 30 seconds to get out. Oh i nearly forgot some canny shots you have there glad your weekend went well after all.

It was alarmed? When was it that you went..? yes, definitely changed a bit then. I know we set off a couple of PIR's, but since no-one came, we just carried on.
And LOL at the "10 mins to get in and 30 secs to get out"! that sounds familiar.
Did you to see beyond the walkway then ?

Last edited:

ExpoLight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not a bad site, pity about doors being locked up with screws. Major bummer that 1. Even though its stripped it looks interesting. I wonder what will happen to it. Some of the older builds are demolished these days for glass and plastics. I like the idea of support with a small group. Gives you more determination to get into the site, and not beaten by security and fences. Nice at the end to to view each others pics and get a lot of inspiration for more explores. My problem is finding people free when I'm free. I'm just sticking to the more local sites for now in this case and of course the time which get eaten very quickly on these ventures. Nice work

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was alarmed? When was it that you went..? yes, definitely changed a bit then. I know we set off a couple of PIR's, but since no-one came, we just carried on.
And LOL at the "10 mins to get in and 30 secs to get out"! that sounds familiar.
Did you to see beyond the walkway then ?

I concentrated mainly on the offices tbh and went earlier in the year there were a few doors screwed shut i did see a little bit beyond the walkway.