real time web analytics
Report - - Wadkins Machinery Leicester (02/05/2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wadkins Machinery Leicester (02/05/2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanLurking

UrbanLurkin'
28DL Full Member
(History)
In 1897 John Wadkin founded the company alongside his brother in law Mr W Jarvis. The company was formed following an idea to invent a machine that would be so versatile that it could carry out operations that were originally done by hand. John Wadkin titled this machine, "a pattern milling machine" The partnership was not successful and Mr Wadkin eventually left the company. Mr Jarvis then acquired the help of Mr Wallace Goddard with the intention to expand the business. Mr Jarvis became acquainted with a Greek gentleman by the name of Ionades who invented an advanced carburettor. General Motors in the US confirmed that they were interested and invited Mr Jarvis for a meeting to discuss, which led to Mr Jarvis booking a place on the Titanic as a means of travel and the disastrous result that he went down with the ill-fated liner.

This left Mr Wallace Goddard with a business in Leicester and no-one to run it. Luckily he had a son that took charge and this continued until 1927 when Mr J Wallace passed away. The 1914-1918 war saw the Government ask Wadkin for help to develop a machine that could turn out wooden propellers for the R.A.F. at a high-speed rate. After the war the demand for woodworking machinery was at a tremendous upsurge. Throughout the 1930's Wadkin extended their range and entered the high technology market and began making larger, high production woodworking machines such as moulders and double ender machines.

From the 1990's Wadkin recognised the need to develop back up service support to its machine customers, and developed a nationwide network of engineers in developing its customer response team, which still stands today offering support 365 days a year. In 2010 following the liquidation of Wadkin Limited, the intellectual propert rights were purchased by Nottingham based woodworking machinery distributors and manufacturers A L Dalton Ltd. This move brought together two long established woodworking machinery suppliers who have traded with each other for over 50 years and accumulated over 200 years experience in the industry between them. Today Wadkin continues to offer woodworking machines and specalist services to the woodworking sector from its new home in Nottingham, including new machine manufacture, spare parts, tooling and training.(History courtesy of Southside Assassin)

(The Explore)
Pretty good explore the place is huge, not really an easy way to access the place. Also down the in the main factory the lights kept coming on and sensors are down there. The main offices are pretty ruined but have some nice photo opportunity, there are also signs of squatters!

My page which i post all my work on! Check it out!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Lurkin/373081162824847

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0922.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

DSC_0899.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/elliot_evans1/media/Wadkins/DSC_0919.jpg.html
DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0869.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0839.jpg

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member
thats in a really bad way !
funny it popped up on my timehop on FB today 4 years ago !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
wow... that place has deteriorated a lot!... what happened to the "on-site security" that are meant to be there?! Then again they werent much cop to begin with... they were sat watching the tennis when we had full run of the place last year.
Nice to see the place again though, thanks for posting.

urbanLurking

UrbanLurkin'
28DL Full Member
wow... that place has deteriorated a lot!... what happened to the "on-site security" that are meant to be there?! Then again they werent much cop to begin with... they were sat watching the tennis when we had full run of the place last year.
Nice to see the place again though, thanks for posting.
Were they Situated in the massive warehouse bit at the back?

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
God this has gone downhill. I really should myself here seeing it's on my doorstep. Good stuff :thumb cheers for sharing

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Were they Situated in the massive warehouse bit at the back?
yep thats where they were when we went... had a complete "numpty" moment when i literally walked up to the window and looked through thinking "oh, the tv's on... oh its the tennis" then a second later it dawned on me... never dived out of view so fast....lol.