real time web analytics
Video Report - - Walking through the most beautiful level in the Pennines? Hangingshaw! | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Video Report - Walking through the most beautiful level in the Pennines? Hangingshaw!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RetroGamerVX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

I've been out and about again and this time, we've taken a continuious (almost) videoed walk down a lead mine level that is considered to be one of the most beautiful in the North Pennines, Hangingshaw, part of the Rampgill mine complex.. I also fixed my sound issue so in this one, there is no music, just the recording of us walking through! :)

Hope you enjoy and please leave any relevant comment :)

A little history of the main mine complex curtsy of mineexplorers.org:

Rampgill Horse Level was started by the Greenwich Hospital in 1736 following the Scaleburn Moss Vein until it reached Fairhill Vein, this then followed into Rampgill Vein. Rampgill Vein may have been worked as early as 1690. There are references to other veins being worked from much earlier on which join into Rampgill Mine. In 1745 the lease was sold to the London Lead Company who developed the mine at an impressive rate and found the Rampgill Vein and others to be incredibly rich in ore. Altogether Rampgill with all its veins yielded 140,000 tons of lead ore between 1703 and 1886.By the end of the 19th century most of Rampgill Vein above the water table had been worked out. Between 1899 and 1921 the Vieille Montagne Zinc Company reworked some of the veins in Rampgill Mine and Coalcleugh Mine for zinc ore, with the Rampgill Horse Level being used for access to Coalcleugh Mine. The Rampgill Horse Level was also used as a haulage way via the Hanginshaw Branch Level for the eastern workings of the Middlecleugh and Longcleugh Veins in Smallcleugh Mine.One of major veins in Rampgill Mine, Scaleburn Vein is generally referred to as being part of Rampgill Mine, it is however a sperate mine in its own right and it only used the Rampgill portal as its access point.

Devy08

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would be really psyched to visit a place like this! Oh yeah it looks terrifying & scary but hey! A Explorer must do what an Explorer must do! :)

RetroGamerVX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would be really psyched to visit a place like this! Oh yeah it looks terrifying & scary but hey! A Explorer must do what an Explorer must do! :)
Yup, id never done any major underground before i started lead mines so was quite scary...for 5 mins lol