real time web analytics
Report - - Walkley Clogs Museum, Mytholmroyd - Jul 18 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Walkley Clogs Museum, Mytholmroyd - Jul 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Surprised this site was still there when I came across it, thought it had been demolished long ago seen as I haven't seen it on here for a while.

Walkley Clogs Museum

42420213505_5fbd6c1872_b.jpg

The mill itself was built in the late 1800's, but was bought by the owner of Walkley Clogs in 1978, and they continued to manufacture clogs for a good 30 years. The clog factory was one of the Calder Valley's most popular tourist attractions during the 1980s but began to wind down during the 1990s after a devastating fire which happened in December 1990. The building closed in 1999, and has been waiting for apartment approval for some time now.

It would be fascinating to see how the place looked open but the lack of security on it allows it to be vandalised and stolen from very easily, as well as it's location in quite a peaceful village. On first sighting, it appears that decent security measures have taken place but that isn't true when you look deeper.

A lovely large site by a river in a picturesque valley, perfect.

You will have to excuse my light painting on this one, the tripod was left at home accidentally so everything is handheld.

Upon entry, we were surrounded by huge machines with blockings around them, meaning that they must have been on display at the time the building was a museum. One thing I don't understand about this place is the fact that these machines, surely very old and precious were kept at a museum to maintain their state yet when it has closed, they remain here rather than being transferred.

43274684852_5080b7fbe7_b.jpg

In addition, there was also display cases, leaflet boxes and other furniture you'd expect to see in a museum.

42420216775_599cec5fe8_b.jpg

The other half of the bottom floor featured various shops that reminded me of Botany Bay, if any of you know what that is.. Someone had removed this lovely guy from the Halloween walkthrough which did give us a fright when I shined my torch on it.

41514671460_9659eb49e5_b.jpg

42420230405_2354c5646e_b.jpg

Moving up a floor, we found some more machines and the museum's gift shop and cafe.

42420228695_a938df5478_b.jpg

The next floor featured the most oddities, there was many old items gathering dust, Santa's grotto and a play area. Sadly, the slide was a no go as I didn't fancy pigeon shit all down my back.

29454542048_6863448269_b.jpg

29454537738_723199e20f_b.jpg

42420223955_636a5a56c9_b.jpg

42420225705_b599b9f6bb_b.jpg

The 'Dear Santa' letters was really sad and a little bit creepy. People's childhood strung up on a wall, lost in decay.

42420222805_4950f2e7b0_b.jpg

42420220105_b13c1cbd86_b.jpg

29454538938_d13c77e030_b.jpg

And that's all! Hopefully if this site gets converted the machines and other artefacts are salvaged.

Here you can find my documentary-styled video on this building, covering the past, present and future through cinematics and narration:

Thanks for reading :)

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I saw you’d posted from this place and thought your vid would be worth a Kronie before I watched it.
I was right, it shows more than most of the other reports put together.
Great update and good perspective on the history too.

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
I saw you’d posted from this place and thought your vid would be worth a Kronie before I watched it.
I was right, it shows more than most of the other reports put together.
Great update and good perspective on the history too.
Thanks a lot man I really appreciate this

Toptrucker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Urbandoned Team was it easy to get in as I’m a big lad and I’m thinking of going over this weekend I’m only 40 miles away from it . Thanks for the great pictures

Shavek

28DL Member
28DL Member
There is a new application in for demolition. Wouldn't be surprised if it went through this time as the place is falling down anyway. Shame.

Pic nicked off facebook:
1541160141643.png

wickedgen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic place - went for an explore yesterday after hearing about its imminent demolition.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
after hearing about its imminent demolition.

Planning is still pending for several reasons -

A bat survey has been requested - these can / would generally only be done between May and August​
The council think 11 houses isn't enough​
The current plans do not give good enough site lines for the access​
Concerns about it being on a flood plain​
Insufficient wheelchair access to the site / properties​
Insufficient pedestrian access to the site due to the narrow pavement​

Nothing insurmountable, but demolition is far from imminent on the face of it.

Also, this is the sixth application for conversion to housing here. Three were withdrawn and two were refused for some of the above reasons and other factors.

wickedgen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's good news - my friend gave me the impression we had only a weeks left before it was gone!

Who has read this thread (Total: 230) View details