real time web analytics
Report - - Wall Hill Mill (Early July 2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wall Hill Mill (Early July 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZoroLime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well this was an interesting one, probably my favorite explore yet! This report is a collaboration of two visits (within a two week difference) as on my first visit i had no tripod, camera was dying and SD card running out of memory, so as you can tell i wasn't very prepared so a second visit was needed to complete my explore. I visited this location with TechyTadpole and three non member all together.

Information about the site and company from the Oldham Chronicle and The Lone Ranger:

"The family-run operation, formerly at Dobcross, is Europe’s largest independent supplier of Mercedes cars, commercial vehicles and parts. It also has a global remit.The company, which opened 40 years ago, decided on the move from Wall Hill Mill in Saddleworth because it was “bursting at the seams”. The company released the Wall Hill Road site because it is no longer suitable for modern employment use. Access improvements alone would have cost over £1 million. The site is for sale for private development with planning permission for 40 houses and apartments. Dronsfields claims this development would guarantee the new access, significantly improve highway safety and open up the way to exclude heavy goods vehicles permanently from Wall Hill Road. I also know from The Lone Rangers post that the site closed down in 2009."

Our visits:

When i first read about this Mill on here i couldn't believe i hadn't discovered it before, considering i live very close. Literally no one had ever spoken or mentioned anything about it to me in the past, i always presumed it was still a running business. We found a public footpath near by and followed the stream through the valley towards the general location of the mill, we didn't want to walk through the front door and risk being spotted by the residents who live on the hill. Once we arrived we instantly spotted all the CCTV but after a quick discussion we decided they probably were not active and entered the main warehouse. I was surprised by the lack of graffiti meaning not many people go in or let alone know about it. The only evidence that people had been was evident in the offices which had been rummaged through thoroughly it seemed. Compared to some early posts on here from other explorers you could see the years hadn't been kind and water damage could be seen everywhere.
We moved on to the second building only to get as far as the bridge that connects the residential block to the second warehouse before my camera died. We also didn't have any masks to go any further as the air is incredibly thick in there so due to safety concerns we came to the conclusion that we needed to come back another day.
On our second visit we were prepared and knew all the entrances and our general way round the mill so confidence was high. We did a quick revisit of the first warehouse as i had my tripod and then moved swiftly onto the second building. This was quite a nervy one if i'm honest the residential section was mouldy as hell, and completely drowned in water and just general moisture compared to the images from previous reports. You'll be able to see this in my images hope you enjoy, Remember to leave me some criticism!

This is one of many edits:

Image00030.jpg

Here are my unedited shots from the visit:

Image00031.jpg

Image00032.jpg

Image00033.jpg

Image00034.jpg

Image00035.jpg

Image00036.jpg

Image00037.jpg

Image00038.jpg

Image00039.jpg

Image00040.jpg

Image00041.jpg

Image00042.jpg

Image00043.jpg

Image00044.jpg

Image00045.jpg

Image00046.jpg

Image00047.jpg

Image00048.jpg

Image00049.jpg

Image00050.jpg

Image00051.jpg

Image00052.jpg

Image00053.jpg

Image00054.jpg

Image00059.jpg

Image00055.jpg

Image00058.jpg

Image00057.jpg

Image00056.jpg

Thanks for viewing :thumb

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Good to see someone else has visited here, not a bad derp :thumb

Popped my head in in May, but there were workmen putting block work on the windows, it's nicely tucked out the way I only found it by chance on one of my strolls :D

ZoroLime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see someone else has visited here, not a bad derp :thumb

Popped my head in in May, but there were workmen putting block work on the windows, it's nicely tucked out the way I only found it by chance on one of my strolls :D
The brickwork added to the experience haha, made it a lot more interesting with the copious amount of arachnids who've made it there home

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details