real time web analytics
Report - - Wallescote Soda Ash Works - 29/03/06 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wallescote Soda Ash Works - 29/03/06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

john

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spook had spotted this place was closed recently so we went for a look last night. To be honest I've passed it regularly since I was old enough to ride a motorbike, and it always did look very run down, even when it was in use, but the part we visited has been closed for a few years.
IMG_0049.jpg

Access was fairly easy with a bit of a climb, although security must drive onto the site often. We went straight in through the end of the huge building, the pictures don't convey how huge this place is.
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Whatever was in the main hall had been taken out but on the side was a 7 or eight storey section with huge hoppers and things.
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Everywhere was covered in a layer of the white powder which I assumed was the soda ash. It's not really dangerous but we kept our masks on all the time.
IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Accross the river, and linked to this building by a bridge is another part of the works with gigantic silos. Spook has only ever seen one or two cars there recently so it might have closed as well with just a security presense. However there were a lot of lights on and I could hear some kind of machinery so something is going on in there.
IMG_0119.jpg

We only saw one other set of footprints in the Ash which lay all around like snow, so it's not very visited inside. Outside there is a pump house which looked like it might still be being used and had working floodlights outside it.
IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

We went back to the car and had a drive round the Brunner Mond works accross the road and found these little air raid shelters.
IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Then we went home and had a shower (well I did :rolleyes: ) I expected the water to fizz like Alka Saltzer :eek: , but this morning all seems OK and nothings dropped off :)

john

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Wallescote Soda Ash Works 29-03-06 REPORT (56k warning)

Some pics from Spooks solo visit on Friday. This is the part accross the river from our first visit, linked by a bridge carrying pipes.

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg