real time web analytics
Report - - Wansford ROC Post - Huntingdonshire Group - 1/1/1 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wansford ROC Post - Huntingdonshire Group - 1/1/1

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

I

isiah_sheepworrier

New Years Day 2001, on the way back from a visit to Norwich. Lots of snow. its burnt out below ground, with only a bedframe remaining as far as I can recall. The WW2 post is also present.

wansford.jpg

Subrit link:
Nuclear Monitoring Posts – Subterranea Britannica

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a part brick/part concrete aircraft observation post on the same site. The WW2 aircraft observation posts weren't built to a specific design.
There is a photo of the one at Wansford on the SubBrit website:
https://media.subbrit.org.uk/10295/1552699435-988800008-021002pic3wansford3.jpg

(if the direct link doesn't work choose the images tab on: https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/wansford-roc-post/)

Ooo thats a nice little bunker / Obs post. Havent seen one of them before! I think stuff for the Observer Corps In WW2 was built by civilian contractors, as they werent part of the Military until musch later, so wouldnt be any sort of standard building design. I sometimes wonder if the Air Ministry had standard designs for their buildings: Seen so much variation with some of their buildings for doing the same job!

tigger

mog
Regular User
.... I sometimes wonder if the Air Ministry had standard designs for their buildings: Seen so much variation with some of their buildings for doing the same job!

Somewhat off-topic but the short answer........yes

eg. Drawing number 1408/18 depicts a standard mortuary.

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Somewhat off-topic but the short answer........yes

eg. Drawing number 1408/18 depicts a standard mortuary.

Yes, I know they have got standard drawings, but there seems some variation in some of the same building numbers. I think there was some add ons and some "Artistic Licence". They are certainly a lot better laid out and standardised than he USAAF ones were! Hahah