Web
Analytics
Want to learn Parkour? | Urban Community Portal | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Want to learn Parkour?

SilentMotion

28DL Full Member
No, I want to see a Parkour/Urbex video - you know, diving out of semi-smashed windows...power climb to the first floor at Cherry Knowle etc

Honestly its pretty rare that I need to use what I've learnt through parkour when exploring, especially as I almost always carry camera gear. What IS useful however is the general level of bodily consciousness you gain - with time you become very aware of how you're moving, the space you occupy - how your body is positioned relative to you surroundings, that kind of thing. Anyone can climb through a broken window, but a traceur is less likely to cut themselves on the stubs of glass (or at least requires less concentration to avoid doing so).

It has its uses all over the place, but I wouldn't bother learning purely for purpose. There are maybe 3 sites I've been to where I've needed what I know to gain entrance, and even then I'm probably missing some ridiculously obvious entry just round the corner :rolleyes:

G

ginjaninja

I recently discovered someone I know is into parkour and uses it for exploring all the time, even managed to help him get into London Zoo once!

G

ginjaninja

TheSmurfinator thank you! Just watched that link and realised it was the first vid I saw too, a few years back and it got me obsessed!! I'd lost it and it was great to see it again! :eek:D

TheSmurfinator

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its weird you guys are into this aswell :thumb

Does anyone know Ben 'Bam' Milner?
I've got loads of his vids on my puter - also loads of Cyril Raffaelli - the guy that played the other male lead in District 13 - he is awesome!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QRMp-BwHAAQ

Coyote - yeah, they are pretty cool huh? I wish I could be that good one day but I think I'm too old now...

S

Shinzou

heya guys thanks for the interest - as fore mentioned by silentmotion the parkour does mostly help with spacial awareness - but also generally if you need to be light footed in your movements - and to generally help your confidence and compitence in movements as well as help you develop parkour vision for alternate routs in - ie - all boarded up on the ground floor ?? wall pop to cat grab onto a second floor windowsill. alot of my videos are old as i dont film much in summer - but an update on my skills will be uploaded when i film next - i keep the camera in a back pack strapped to my left hip - this allows me lots of room to maneuver and use Parkour - even roll from height without damaging my mums Nikon D-40 :D

S

Shinzou

Hey Shinzou, You mean like online instruction or face to face? Where on the south coast are you?
soz for the late reply - i would happily do both - but technically face to face would be ideal. but im down for whatever - just happy to help :)

D

Doidle

Are there any tips you can give to people trying to teach themselves (no one does parkour around here)?

D

Doidle

Fiind a sand pit, or a suitable gym to practice in, then move onto the streets.
Unfortunately those are pretty hard to come by around here...evidently the Isle of Wight isn't built for able bodied people, but rather the old and grey. :crazy

Still, this aside, what basics should I learn before simply going for it? I can roll and vault pretty well, but that's about it.

S

Shinzou

Unfortunately those are pretty hard to come by around here...evidently the Isle of Wight isn't built for able bodied people, but rather the old and grey. :crazy

Still, this aside, what basics should I learn before simply going for it? I can roll and vault pretty well, but that's about it.
the roll is very tricky - make sure ur doing it right because if done wrong on concerete it will damage ur spine
apart from that a very useful move is the wall pop - basically just practice makes perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7qobsVHDp8&feature=PlayList&p=DF520EC5A90AE4EF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Was wondering where you were Shinzou, I'll get an email off to you next week.