real time web analytics
Wanted - Carbide! | Carbide Lamps | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Wanted - Carbide!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ressurecting this old conversation. What's the best source of carbide at the moment?
- Amazon looks like £26 per kg
- eBay is £25 per kg
- Caving Supplies doesn't have it on their web site at the moment.
- Minerals-water.co.uk is 'king expensive.
Google doesn't help.
Any ideas?

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I got mine directly from Germany , if your after any let me no :thumb
That worked last time, thanks D&B. Last time a few of us got a batch of about 20kg and met up to dish it out.
They were the red 1 kg tins from Germany, so maybe the same supplier.
How much roughly are you paying (inc postage)?
@merryprankster / @Bigjobs - was that you? Where from?

Blimey does it have a higher street value?
Yeah, it's good stuff; pretty high street value in the UK.

Last edited:

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
We got ours from a gardening centre in germany while we were driving around europe for £2 a kilo. They use it to get rid of moles apparently. Not so much burning them out, but as the acetylene is heavier than air, a block in a moist tunnel gasses them out.

We bought a lot. A very lot.

It didn't come in sealed tins, we had to fill darren tubs up as much as we could.

For the life of me I cannot remember how we got it back to the UK, but we still have some left. Sealed in the original darren tubs. I have a horrible feeling that if we open them we'll be met with dust.

Reactions: GG

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
@Bigjobs never heard of that regarding moles,interesting…….I use phosphine gas to get rid of them but it’s extremely dangerous and requires lots of PPE etc.

£2 a kilo o_O Cheap as chips

and yeh last couple of years eBay has generally been cheapest U.K. source

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
IIRC we brought somewhere around 50Kg back, with the plan to sell it on once we made it back home.

THen in usual bigjobs style, I gave some away and forgot about the rest. I'll have to see if I have any sitting around.

Reactions: GG

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bargain!

We got ours from a gardening centre in germany while we were driving around europe for £2 a kilo. They use it to get rid of moles apparently. Not so much burning them out, but as the acetylene is heavier than air, a block in a moist tunnel gasses them out.

We bought a lot. A very lot.

It didn't come in sealed tins, we had to fill darren tubs up as much as we could.

For the life of me I cannot remember how we got it back to the UK, but we still have some left. Sealed in the original darren tubs. I have a horrible feeling that if we open them we'll be met with dust.

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IIRC we brought somewhere around 50Kg back, with the plan to sell it on once we made it back home.

THen in usual bigjobs style, I gave some away and forgot about the rest. I'll have to see if I have any sitting around.

If you have 3kg, I'll give you £10 / kg. ;)