Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Warning of collapse at Fletchers Papermill, Greenfield | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - Warning of collapse at Fletchers Papermill, Greenfield

vacuumsealed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just a heads-up to anyone venturing into Fletchers Paper mill, Greenfield. Most likely due to the heavy rain, and the fact the place is in serious decay. There has been a severe roof collapse within the last two weeks located in the main building. It appears the rest of the roof could go at any time.

On a positive note, the executive suite, offices and boardroom were accessible! Hadn't been in the mill for years and always wanted to see that part. Someone has definitely been there before us, but it was all pretty much the same as the day the mill closed.

If you've never been to Fletchers, be aware it has security and is heavily boarded and screwed shut in most places. There are a few locations to gain entry without damaging the property, you just have to find them.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Are you sure it's not just the area damaged by fire a couple of years ago? No roof on that section.

vacuumsealed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Definitely not - I know the building very well.

The collapse is located in the main building where the stacker trucks are. The timber frame holding up the roof has rotted and collapsed under the weight of the rain water. Should've taken a photo really!

All the best

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
A large window was blown in there not that long ago too, boarded up quickly.

vacuumsealed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They're on top of sealing the place quickly! Looks like the scrap metal thieves have been in to strip all the armoured cable and fuse-board assembly,

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
They're on top of sealing the place quickly! Looks like the scrap metal thieves have been in to strip all the armoured cable and fuse-board assembly,
And the Phosphor bronze bearings from many of the machines. Not quietly either as they used stihl saws, they won't have made a lot of noice in a big empty building 50 meters away from the security lodge! I wonder how much the security guards were paid to put some hearing protection on, as well as let them load their van up.

After all it is 24/7 security and they are quick enough to catch folk trying to take a few photos ;)

E

Elwarwick

The mill was great today, I've got a few good photos, not sure how to post them though!

vacuumsealed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm sure they do roam at some point because they always find the access areas, but I personally reckon it would be noise that gets them out of the seat. There is one guard per shift, shift changing 6-6. We let onto them the last couple of times as they were leaving.

Going in quiet pairs is best for that place. If a group goes, you get seen through the upstairs windows and the public footpath always has hikers and dog walkers to spot you too.