real time web analytics
Report - - Warth Mill Culvert - Diggle - Saddleworth - June 2022 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Warth Mill Culvert - Diggle - Saddleworth - June 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Warth Mill Culvert - Saddleworth

The Explore

Warth Mill is the last standing mill in Diggle, Saddleworth and with any luck it will be around for many years to come as many small businesses are based there.

Diggle is home to many a culvert, a small village nestled on the West side of the Pennines, but was home to many mills and also the Western portal of the Standenge rail and canal tunnels. Streams were culverted to allow these to be built, plus there are all the culverts which connect the canal reservoirs to the Huddersfield Narrowboat Canal, sometimes you get 3 culverts running over each other. Slowly getting to grips where they all go and how they connect, but have been left scratching my head when I found the end of what I though was a culvert, but water flowing into each end left me searching for where it came out.

This culvert has been one I have been meaning to do for many a year, on the map it didn't look too special, but joins the dots in my local area. Explore wise it wasn't too special either, 2 culverted sections, neither that long. Some nice brickwork, plenty of brown trout, even managed to tickle a few.

The last time there was a major Royal event - William and Kate's Wedding, Ojay and myself explore the Majestic Culvert. Named after the day, but more so that it did run under the now demolished Majestic Mill https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/majestic-culverts-oldham-june-2012.71676/

Seemed fitting to head underground myself today, just wish I'd packed my Union Jack :)

Fist image is as I entered the culvert, the main structure of the mill overhead.

Probably about 70 meters long with a slight bend, was a stoop between the concrete sprayed beams.

Looking back up to the start, nothing stunning, but still a nice mooch.

Looking back downstream, I doubt I've been in a culvert with so many brown trout before, also nesting dippers, pied wagtails and a wren.

Exit of the first section, the second short section visible in the distance.

View of Warth Mill, pleasant stroll down the open section.

Looking back from the start of the short second culverted section.

The second section is short, the construction is different though and appears the cables that pass through are now no longer supported.

Well you have to get a selfie in a culvert, still a bit of a stoop in the second section.

Looking back up the second section, pleasant enough.

And finally the end of the Warth Mill culvert.

All in all a pleasant stroll, one I have been meaning to pop down for many years. I didn't look epic from the map or from viewing the ends, it ended up not being epic, just a pleasant stroll and was nice to get some exploring done again and join up a few more dots in the Saddleworth area.

Cheers,

TLR.​

Attachments

• Warth Mill 7.jpg
    Warth Mill 7.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 47

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Presume that other Diggle mill has been demod by intro didn't realise that! Nice report either way:)

It's well gone now, the new secondary school opened on the site a couple of months ago. The Office block / clock tower still remains, but as usual Oldham Council have no idea how to incorporate a historic building into a new build site, so it remains boarded up at the entrance. At least they have made it water tight, being cynical it's probably so the wood dries out and becomes combustible again :hmm

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
It's well gone now, the new secondary school opened on the site a couple of months ago. The Office block / clock tower still remains, but as usual Oldham Council have no idea how to incorporate a historic building into a new build site, so it remains boarded up at the entrance. At least they have made it water tight, being cynical it's probably so the wood dries out and becomes combustible again :hmm
Ah not surprised at all. Looks like they're leaving the original school derelict aswell, so looks like they haven't sold much problems. But you are definitely correct, just like how st Joe's magically had a fire a few weeks before they where being forced to demolish the section that caught a light

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely images. Warth Mill with its date, towering over the culvert is a very scenic image. The brickwork around is quite something. Nice to know there is so much wild life around there.

Nicely done, my knees would kill, crouching for photos. Kudos :thumb

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Definitely looks like it was Warth-while checking it out ;)

There is a wee one up in Greenfield under a mill I don't think has been done yet - unless you've been up there while I've not been following. Might only be small, but there is only one way to find out...

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Definitely looks like it was Warth-while checking it out ;)

There is a wee one up in Greenfield under a mill I don't think has been done yet - unless you've been up there while I've not been following. Might only be small, but there is only one way to find out...
If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a stoopy culvert with some service cables and pipes running through it to add to the interest, just poked my nose in the downstream end. There still a pretty major one left to do, probably a bit of a crawl, but some interesting history with it. One for the summer?

Reactions: EOA

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I think it is the one you're thinking of!

Aye, I am up for that! Give me a shout when you're about - it has been a while since I've been in a culvert!