real time web analytics
Report - - Washout, South Yorkshire May.18 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Washout, South Yorkshire May.18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is an inspection chamber I found a number of years ago and took some rubbish photos of on a phone I had at the time and vowed to return. I was in the area with my gear so I decided to give it a proper look. Initially I was going to crawl up the outfall but it was flowing faster than a fast flowing thing so I settled for the inspection chamber alone. I believe this runs on the sewer network just downstream of the local treatment works. The chamber itself runs in an old bridge underneath a railway line and the outfall runs around 100m from brick to corrugated pipe, before emptying in to the River Don. There are some stone mason markings on the older stone of the chamber itself.

Washout, South Yorkshire 1.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 2.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 3.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 4.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 5.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 6.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 7.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 8.JPG

Washout, South Yorkshire 9.JPG

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Yeah like it, mate. That stonemasons marking is a level datum, they're all over the country and usually marked on old os maps, with a level in ft and inches above see level. Basically they're fixed levels that you can refer back to when you build something. You put the bottom of yer staff (meterstick) on the mark, take a reading with yer dumpy level and then you'll know what height your levels at. Then you deduct all future readings so you'll know what level they're at, too, relative to the datum. I've never seen one in a drain before but it'd have been essential to ensure the chamber was built as designed so they're probably quite common. Surveying history lesson over....

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah like it, mate. That stonemasons marking is a level datum, they're all over the country and usually marked on old os maps, with a level in ft and inches above see level. Basically they're fixed levels that you can refer back to when you build something. You put the bottom of yer staff (meterstick) on the mark, take a reading with yer dumpy level and then you'll know what height your levels at. Then you deduct all future readings so you'll know what level they're at, too, relative to the datum. I've never seen one in a drain before but it'd have been essential to ensure the chamber was built as designed so they're probably quite common. Surveying history lesson over....

Nice one for that pal! I did search the Internet afterwards but didn't come up with anything.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Yer welcome, i do that sort of stuff for a living, so was 'pleased' to see it come up. Never had to use an old one myself but i'd check back onto one if i had to!