Web
Analytics
Report - - Water Research Centre, Medmenham, December 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Water Research Centre, Medmenham, December 2013

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
A little history on the site, taken from somewhere online.

1898 A United Kingdom Royal Commission was appointed to investigate methods for sewage treatment and disposal.

1915 The Royal Commission recommended setting up a body to promote and supervise water pollution research.

1940 The Water Pollution Research Laboratory (WPRL) was set up in the UK. During the Second World War, varied research projects included effluent problems of munitions plants and development of a field kit for RAF life rafts that rendered seawater drinkable.

1961 WRA moves to its headquarters in Medmenham.

1963 The UK Government to set up the Water Resources Board (WRB).

1970s The WRA, WPRL and WRB were combined into one central research establishment - the Water Research Centre (WRC) with an additional facility in Swindon.

2004 Testing of materials for water contact moved from Medmenham to the Evaluation and Testing Centre in Oakdale, creating a single laboratory for all testing of water fittings.

2006 The Chemical analysis and Consultancy Groups move from Medmenham to new laboratories in Reading. The site was then closed due to asbestos and unsatisfactory conditions of the buildings.

More here:
http://www.wrcnsf.com/history.htm

Following on from Landie Man's recent visit to the site, I decided it would be rude not to take a stroll here as it is fairly local and seems to have been largely ignored by the UE community. Fairly trashed now, no doubt a few years ago, it would have been very nice. Still a good mooch for a good couple of hours. Visited with Mr Els and two non members.

file-83.jpg


file-80.jpg


file-77.jpg


file-72.jpg


file-70.jpg


file-68.jpg


file-67.jpg


file-66.jpg


file-64.jpg


file-63.jpg


file-61.jpg


file-60.jpg


file-53.jpg


file-48.jpg


Water testing pipes
file-45.jpg


file-41.jpg


file-38.jpg


file-37.jpg


file-36.jpg


file-33.jpg


file-30.jpg


file-28.jpg


file-27.jpg


file-24.jpg


file-19.jpg


file-18.jpg


file-11.jpg


file-4.jpg


Two lonely keys hanging
file-7.jpg
 

Similar threads