real time web analytics
Report - - Waterloo-Victoria Tunnel Explore. Liverpool, Merseyside - May 2022 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Waterloo-Victoria Tunnel Explore. Liverpool, Merseyside - May 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FKL770

Liverpool Area 28DL Explorer.
28DL Full Member
INTRODUCTION
I was with a friend. we entered the area where the entrance of the tunnel is and we waited for a carpark to close so we could jump the fence and get into the tunnel. In the meantime we decided to explore another nearby abandoned building (some type of warehouse) on going into the building we noticed used bobby needles in a bottle (very considerate bobbyhead). We went inside the building and up some stairs to the 1st floor. I took a photo (below) as my friend told me he thought he heard something and felt a bit on edge, then after telling me that it was just some pigeon. I was behind him as he entered the next room where the pigeon was. HE THEN FROZE, turning back to me and telling me ''lets go!''. We then exited the site and I asked him what he saw and oh my golly gosh...
1653753892667.jpg

He described to me a crazy haired punk looking person (couldn't confirm gender) snorting ''substances'' off of the window ledge...
my friend might of been talking a load of bollocks, he is not known for doing that, still take it with a grain of salt.

now back to the tunnel...

▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚
HISTORY
The Waterloo Tunnel in Liverpool, England, is a former railway tunnel, 852 yd (779 m) long, which opened in 1849. Its western end was at 53.414829, -2.994385,[1] underneath Pall Mall. From here the line continued under Great Howard Street to Waterloo Goods railway station, now the site of the Kingsway Tunnel Ventilation Shaft, after 1895 continuing beyond to the dock railway system and on to Liverpool Riverside at the Pier Head for direct connection to the passenger liners. The eastern end opens into a short (69 yd (63 m)) cutting, four tracks wide between Byrom Street and Fontenoy Street, which connects to the Victoria Tunnel, which emerges at Edge Hill station. It is effectively one long tunnel from Edge Hill to Liverpool Waterloo Dock with two names along its route. The tunnels were given two different names because initially trains in the Victoria Tunnel were cable hauled and in the Waterloo Tunnel locomotive hauled. Both tunnels closed on 19 November 1972.

The Victoria Tunnel in Liverpool, England is a 1.537 miles (2.474 km) long rail tunnel. Opened in 1849, its eastern portal is adjacent to Edge Hill station. The western portal opens into a short (69 yards or 63 metres) cutting, between Byrom Street and Fontenoy Street, the shorter Waterloo Tunnel exits the cutting terminating at Waterloo Dock. The Victoria and Waterloo tunnels are effectively one long tunnel connected by a ventilation cutting. The whole length is generally known as the Waterloo Tunnel.

Constructing the tunnel
The city of Liverpool is built on an escarpment. Edge Hill stands on the ridge to the east of the city. The escarpment falls down to the River Mersey. The Victoria Tunnel followed a western course downwards on a falling gradient of 1:57 to the river. The lowest point is at the Byrom Street cutting. The tunnel continues towards the Waterloo Dock with the much shorter Waterloo Tunnel. The tunnel rises upwards from this point with rising gradients of 1:513 for 251 yd (230 m), 1:139 for 400 yd (370 m) and finally 1:86 for 217 yd (198 m) to the western Waterloo Dock portal.
When cutting the tunnel, from Byrom Street eastwards and upwards to Edge Hill the work was difficult as care was needed not to disturb the buildings above due to the shallow depth of the tunnel. Ventilation is via five air shafts. Refuges were cut into both walls with two small huts cut into the down-side for storage space rest places for rail workers. Demolition of buildings between Byrom Street and Fontenoy Street was needed to open out a box cutting, of 69 yd (63 m) in length at Byrom Street, where two sidings were laid. Locomotive watering tank facilities were installed in the cutting along with gas lighting, allowing 24-hour operation. The work cutting the tunnel from the Byrom Street Cutting to Waterloo Dock good station resulted in houses subsiding forcing the residents to abandon their homes.
In August 1849 the first goods trains ran through the tunnel to Waterloo Goods railway station. Rail wagons were pulled by locomotive from Waterloo Dock down a gradient in the Waterloo Tunnel to the Byrom Street cutting. From the cutting the tunnel rose to Edge Hill. Rail wagons were pulled up the steep gradient from the Byrom Street cutting by a wire rope. The rope was the largest iron wire rope ever manufactured. A brick building housed a large static steam engine that wound the rope pulling the rail wagons up the tunnel.
At 26 ft (7.9 m) in width and 18 ft (5.5 m) in height, the tunnel could accommodate rail wagons 9 ft (2.7 m) wide and 13 ft 3 in (4.04 m) high. Electric wiring was installed through the tunnel operating bells, allowing men at the Byrom Street cutting to communicate with men at Edge Hill.
The Victoria tunnel’s east portal at Edge Hill features a rusticated red sandstone arch. Of architectural merit the portal stonework has been Grade II listed since June 1985.

Red line represents tunnel

(red line represents tunnel)
▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚▚
THE EXPLORE
The portal to the tunnel is lower than the now carpark above that has filled part of its final stretch towards the once 'Waterloo goods railway station', so there are stairs to get down to it.
1653755765456.jpg

WARNING I HAD SOME SHITE £1.99 torch SO CANT SEE MUCH DOWN THERE
now lets go into the tunnel.
1653756018049.jpg

Now as you can see (or can not see) in the photo above the tunnel as been filled in partially. For this section it had some small puddles and leaks in the ceiling we had to run though them, dodge them and even at some points we even had to utilise our proper mad skills to avoid getting dripped on/shoes drenched.
1653756582705.jpg

1653756611493.jpg

(above puddle we had to edge around)
After making it past our first bit of water we came across a sign for a proven hidden shaft. I really find it interesting that there can be tunnels/underground stuff that is completely lost to time if they don't know about a air shaft that once came out to street level that what else do they not know of...
1653758121461.png

1653758171362.png

1653758143774.png

After the first half of the first waterloo side tunnel there was a sudden downwards hill down to the original floor of the tunnel. If I didn't mention before, this post is a merge of 2 explores we did down the tunnel, the first explore we did was cut short here as we had some hefty whiff of petrol and I saw a fog in the air so not wanting to risk it we came back with a Nokia 3310 brick gas mask with a maraca like filter.
1653759317098.png

1653759353626.jpg

1653759369531.jpg

1653759390518.jpg

Now here is a blind shaft meaning that the top has been capped off with something maybe even building foundations. looks pretty ominous since no light shines down it plus the fact it goes nowhere.
1653759420327.jpg

I found this paraplegic decapitated fella... proper spo00oky ooooo0000000000OOOOO.
1653759632659.jpg

there was also this brick thing that looked like it went deeper underground its filled in but wonder if it does go anywhere?
1653759978237.jpg

Finally coming to the end of the first section of tunnel finally some light.
1653760013921.jpg

1653760178046.jpg

1653760266819.jpg

this is the only cutting of the tunnel it does have rubbish dumped here but it isn't anywhere near as bad as the Wapping tunnel Baltic triangle cutting. what is the purpose of that arch on the left?
lets have a little look inside the small building on the right...
1653760623250.jpg

Surprise there is bugger all in here.
1653761076476.jpg

goodbye light and healthy decent lungs.
PXL_20220524_184941230.PHOTOSPHERE.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rk3xNbcJq59rCgYs7 full image 360
this is one of 2 Cavens to the side of the main tunnel that we came across don't know why they are there but they are some heavy feature of the tunnels the 2nd one had loads of names carved into the dirt on the walls and ceilings so obviously we made use of that its also interesting to read some of the names and dates some of them are quite old.
1653762557098.png

my friend kept pointing out these 'shadow people' on the wall very spooky indeed.
1653762648850.png

old sleeper wonder how old it is?
1653762717581.png

here is some type of air shaft they are normally located in the centre of the tunnel but maybe when they built the tunnel they had no room for the shaft in the centre so it was placed to the left.
1653762889034.png

The tunnel was getting harder to traverse and the time was getting on so I decided to turn back.
we rushed it back and my friend got his vans fully saturated in some horrible froffy water looked like sewage tbh :rofl:DAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA ROFL ROFL
on exiting we realised that we made the scariest mistake of our lives...
1653763989215.jpg

1653764003364.jpg

This monstrosity guarded the exit to the tunnel it is only something of the devils creation it must be asking for a tunnel toll as you may know the devil doesn't have PayPal nor even a bank account (really needs to get with the times) the only way of money transfer being google play and Primark gift cards or alternatively human sacrifice and human sacrifice it is!

That concludes our exploration of the waterloo Victoria tunnel! I hope you found it funny informative interesting and entertaining!
feel free to react to this post and comment any feedback/questions in the comments.

EXTRA
I was brightening up some images in photoshop and came to this truly horrifying discovery!
1653764899386.png

Untitled-1.png

bobdobelina

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report. Aiming to do it this week. How long did it take to get to the end of the first part, where you can see daylight? Also, did you figure out what the petrol smell was? Would you risk it without a mask?

Who has read this thread (Total: 161) View details