Web
Analytics
Question - - Watermarks on pictures, | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Question - Watermarks on pictures,

slayaaaa

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hi, just wondered how important it is to add watermarks to my pics. I'm not professional, just don't want anyone else claiming my pictures :S. Would this save me from loosing them to 'thieves'? :p Thanks!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
By all means add a subtle watermark, but it won't stop them getting yoinked one bit.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
Regular User
They are easy to remove but I believe it is technically illegal to do so under copyright law, or something like that. I like to put a small watermark in the corner just so people know it's my image if it gets posted elsewhere for whatever reason.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's not illegal to remove watermarks. You can edit any picture you want however you want. It's illegal to publish the photograph without permission though, and that's debatable under certain circumstances.

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
They are easy to remove but I believe it is technically illegal to do so under copyright law, or something like that. I like to put a small watermark in the corner just so people know it's my image if it gets posted elsewhere for whatever reason.
Watermark, or not - your legal position is exactly the same - no watermark does not mean no copyright

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
Regular User
if you have your own website its handy as then it points people back to it when the picture is hotlinked elsewhere (Ive seen mine on a few foreign blogs etc). but yeah definetly keep them subtle.

slayaaaa

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ah I see, thankss for all the replies and help. Might add one to my pics and a link to the FB page, we'll see, cheers!

The Kwan

Easily Led
Regular User
Dont know if all cameras can do it but My Nikon D300 can put copyright details into the exif data, I know that it can be stripped out easily too but it is a little extra protection that cant be seen.

The Franconian

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I think it is worth having a look into the terms of use of facebook, photobucket or whatever you use and what they say about
the right to use your contents.