real time web analytics
Report - - Waterside Ironworks, Dalmellington - June 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Waterside Ironworks, Dalmellington - June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Waterside Ironworks

Next Thursday evening in a Glasgow hotel there will be a chance to snap up a piece of Scottish industrial history, as the Waterside Ironworks site – almost four and a half acres with assorted buildings - goes under the hammer at auction. The guide price? A snip at just £75,000.

IMG_7896GD_zpsbw1jnctm.jpg

It seems an almost derisory figure to attach to what was once the largest coal mining and iron working area in the whole of Ayrshire. But things change.

Back in 1848 the Dalmellington Iron Company opened the Waterside Ironworks and increasingly exploited coal, limestone and blackband ironstone from the Doon Valley – the three magic ingredients for the production of pig iron. Within a decade they had even built their own railway to service the increasingly extensive and remote pits and connect the area to Ayr, and by the end of the nineteenth century eight furnaces were in blast.

By the early twentieth century the readily available ironstone began to dwindle, leaving production dependent on Spanish imports. In 1921 the ironworks ceased operation and production turned to brickmaking, taking advantage of the extensive coal deposits still exploitable. The last of the pits to open did so in 1954, with the final one closing in 1978. The brickworks finally closed eight years later in 1986.

Since then the once thriving valley has reverted back to its Scottish serenity, the ironworks crumbling and rusting inconspicuously by the side of the road. You can’t miss the place – the skyline is dominated by the two huge chimneys – but it’s equally easy not to notice it.

These days it’s walkers and explorers that pass through the site rather than miners and railwaymen. Oh and renowned Scottish bike trickster Danny Macaskill, who flipped his wheels around the ruins in YouTube film ‘Danny Macaskill’s Industrial Revolutions’. Worth five minutes of your time, if you like that sort of thing.

The Explore

I’d spent a rushed hour here at the back end of 2012, and while it’s not the kind of place I’d normally feel worthy of a revisit, there was something I’d missed the first time: The railway yard at the back of the site. Since I was within an hour’s drive and my co-explorer hadn’t been before, we head on down…

IMG_7899GD_zpsz1lrgnyh.jpg

The above image shows the generator house centre of shot, with the brick kilns to the left.

IMG_7749GD_zps6rayb4y2.jpg

IMG_7757GD_zpsgh152n1g.jpg

Inside the generator house. The precarious staircase was propped up by a single acrow at ground level, but the top level had nothing to offer except a rotten floor:

IMG_7771GD_zpsphmwonz9.jpg

IMG_7770GD_zpsolqctx7g.jpg

Above the brick kilns:

IMG_7751GD_zps03gkpbba.jpg

There are two chimneys still on site. This one sits beside the power station:

IMG_7779GD_zpsidzemix4.jpg

IMG_7778GD_zpssehyrhon.jpg

Inside the power station itself. Like the other buildings remaining there had clearly been some work done in the three years since my initial visit - not least to make them harder to access. The roof had been removed from the annex of this building to the far right, up the steps:

IMG_7781GD_zpse9ptr23h.jpg

Gantry crane:

IMG_7790GD_zpsysrf3msg.jpg

IMG_7792GD_zpsmzig3x6j.jpg

IMG_7787GD_zpsspaycicb.jpg

The next building down site…

IMG_7802GD_zpsfj95fdx2.jpg

IMG_7806GD_zps5jg7qva3.jpg

IMG_7808GD_zpsjf9fe2gv.jpg

From here we head for where I suspected the trains were, and it wasn’t long before we stumbled across them…

IMG_7876GD_zpsvwnkiatv.jpg

IMG_7849GD_zpsnnugevao.jpg

IMG_7840GD_zpsr8sr22gc.jpg

IMG_7829GD_zpscthevbwr.jpg

IMG_7821GD_zpsqocfe6z0.jpg

IMG_7861GD_zpsh4xv7lgm.jpg

IMG_7875GD_zpshvr4biyn.jpg

Looking at the heap of track bolts it seemed that the heads either had ‘S’ or ‘AS’ printed on them. Not sure what the significance of that is…

IMG_7892GD_zps4nim13lg.jpg

IMG_7879GD_zpsljwrbafy.jpg

Rail weighbridge:

IMG_7884GD_zps9qvmjfpz.jpg

Gatehouse interior:

IMG_7900GD_zpsvkmzuz2m.jpg

IMG_7893GD_zpsk5om57fw.jpg

IMG_7850GD_zpsdmlmlfmz.jpg

Nice couple of hours to be spent there. Wonder what the new owner will do with it…

Thanks for stopping by.​

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Some cracking photos there :thumb

@Ojay This ones on my list of Safety Strolls, it was an other Scottish railway yard I visited.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
[QUOTE="Idle Hands, post: 1098004,Which other railway yard did you visit @The Lone Ranger ? I might take a look at it next time I'm up that way![/QUOTE]

It was the Royal Deeside Railway Siddings, nr Banchory. No where near as extensive as this place, but close to a nice hospital.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
[QUOTE="Idle Hands, post: 1098004,Which other railway yard did you visit @The Lone Ranger ? I might take a look at it next time I'm up that way!

It was the Royal Deeside Railway Siddings, nr Banchory. No where near as extensive as this place, but close to a nice hospital.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I've done the Glen O'Dee at Banchory a few months ago. Wish I'd known about the sidings, I could have stopped by them on the way. Maybe next time!

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Thanks - I've done the Glen O'Dee at Banchory a few months ago. Wish I'd known about the sidings, I could have stopped by them on the way. Maybe next time!

I wish I'd know the location of Glen O'Dee at the time, knew it wasn't too far away. Something to do next time I'm grounded in Aberdeen though.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report, We did this on our way to Inverkip. never did get round to posting up the report. We found a room full of bricks all with colliery and foundry names on etc…

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report, We did this on our way to Inverkip. never did get round to posting up the report. We found a room full of bricks all with colliery and foundry names on etc…

Thank you mate. I didn't see any bricks but there was one building that seemed pretty well sealed up this time.

I never saw Inverkip - bit late for that one now unfortunately :D