real time web analytics
Report - - Wednesbury Science School, Wednesbury, 2009 & 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wednesbury Science School, Wednesbury, 2009 & 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello!
This particular place gives me the feels of nostalgia, as I initially encountered it as a couple of random mini-explores before returning shortly after to assist with a film that was being shot there. Back in 2008 I had purchased a vintage beast of a U-matic tape player from the studios based next door (which was itself a former post office HQ). After the purchase, my friend - Bedwards - and I were intrigued by this cluster of 1900s buildings so we went for a wander. Here they were, unassuming but proud, all crumpled-up but still in their Sunday-best wearing all their high-Victorian terracotta trimmings, despite being marooned in a landscape of no-frills tower-blocks and industrial estates (the tower-block opposite was looking rather dapper and matching the red-theme of the buildings though, all nicely co-ordinated perhaps).

Peeking out shyly from between the former Post Office to its left and some council buildings and the Art Gallery and Museum to its right, the Wednesbury Adult Education Centre was a disused former school - that much was plain from the decidedly stark and modern signage above the door, together with some original stylised "W.S.S" initials carved into the brick above. The door was ajar... that frisson of excitement crept up.... the entrance hall was staring at us through the gloom. So in we went. A quick mooch inside did not disappoint that day and we returned again some weeks later with Bedwards' brand new DSLR. It was still a little bit of a mystery to us and we hadn't quite mastered it's voodoo magic yet, so the pics are a bit reference-like and not very arty, but do capture the place's surprising photogenic potential. We can't now remember who captured what (so we'll sue each other for copyright at some point). As ever, life happened in the following years. I've lost my own original pics but Bedwards (who keeps his hard drive content backed-up as far as the Middle Ages) had these all labelled and readily accessible within ten seconds of my asking about them. I've spruced those up for an outing on here, looked-into the history I could find, added some stills from a short video I made and the film that was shot there later. Two parts to this report - the present-day images, and the historically-related images.

Unfortunately, while excitedly looking-into whether I could return here, it turns out that the building was partially demolished sometime in 2016 - 2017 after the roof caved in and pancaked the floors below. What a waste. Out of all the small and unassuming abandoned buildings I've visited this was one of the prettiest and attractively decayed. However, at the time of exploring it - the whole "peeling-paint-in-Victorian corridors-and-rooms" aesthetic were ten-a-penny due to abandoned asylums and factories still being very much a thing in the UK, and so so we didn't invest as much effort into really capturing the aesthetics of the place or looking into it's history. Now however, this place would have been much more of a rarity and captured better, and also should really have been better cared for given its features and its important place in local education history. Simon Cornwell (from the Cult of Cane Hill website) once surmised that urbex can be a very in-the-moment hobby, and after the rush of an explore, the details of place and the appreciation of it can be lost. It's then taken for granted that of course the place will be around forever. However, they never are. As is the case here.

The beautiful terracotta exterior (especially popular with Victorian Birmingham buildings), with the council offices and art gallery in the background. And a tower-block in front.
I wonder if the red balconies on the 'block were to provide some style continuity with these red coloured buildings opposite?
Please excuse my appearing in the picture. I was and still am a camera ponce.

Inside the entrance looking back at the inner-door to the porch and the front door beyond.
Also pictured, vintage breaker boxes and wiring for the defunct electrical system situated next to/or inside? the office cubicle to the left of the entrance.

The large ground floor teaching/workshop room at the end of the short corridor from the hall above.
Note the surprising presence of the elaborate door surrounds. This room wouldn't have looked out of place as a location for hipster fashion shoot. Note the warning tape area...

...now... that cordoned off bit of the floor - those wonky floorboards could be lifted up to access an otherwise locked-up room below. My friend and I were quite critter-sized and were able to squeeze through the joists and into the room below, which yielded this piano and chair, if nothing else. Despite being essentially in what felt like a basement, the land sloped from the front to rear of the building, resulting in this room being at ground-floor level to the road behind the building. This peeling paint made me think of creamy chocolate cake frosting. I got hungry.

An upstairs classroom, one of three. Some final information still posted on the board - concerning an "Adult Basic Education Project", local bus routes and staff contact details.
This classroom would later be used for a key scene in the film that would be shot here later, where it would be set-dressed with a bed.

The door to the main road-facing classroom over-looking the front door. Once again, some beautiful features such as the radiators and door surrounds, which contrasts with the offensively blunt installation of that electrical box. The classroom itself was empty except for some tasty peeling paint and the dangling chains from vintage light fixtures, some of which remained. Once again, all very photogenic.

Assorted views - an electrical diagram of some machine involving a motor and a gate, possibly a lift? May have been something from next door, as the studios had an old lift. A ground floor door to the locked stairs leading to the piano room probably. A plan of fairly-recent origin detailing the layout of some of the rooms and noting possible steps to renovate - such as removing the industrial amounts of pigeon shit from this room:

The crowning glory of this building, with lots of lovely features and decay... so naturally we only seem to have one photo of it. This room was on the top floor and was another workshop I believe. There were already elements of the forthcoming film shoot, such the deer antlers and other prop-type stuff. I'd end up spending a lot of time up here with the film crew during shooting and it got REALLY cold, as there was no glass in them thar end-windows and missing panes in the skylight. it's this room that precipitated the decay that would eventually cause this whole part of the building to collapse in on itself. If windows be the eyes of the building then the glass stops it blindly stumbling into the abyss.

So that's the tour in terms of an urbex perspective. Below are some stills of a video I made of the place (shot on MiniDV) which I got to make during the shooting of the film, using kit from the marketing unit:

The ground floor entrance hall, with the video camera (on a track) with its back to the porch doors. The corridor into darkness leads to the big workshop room (with the foldable partitions). Judging by this place now on Google maps, the building doesn't continue past the stairs and is blocked off with a car park beyond. The Home Economics door was to the right down the corridor at some point, as well.

Below are some screengrabs from the parts of the film which were shot in this building. It was a challenging shoot, no power in the building so cables had to be fed from the studios next door, and as it was a such a cold winter, the bulbs in the old-fashioned studio lights would blow (no budget for LED lights or kino-flos in these locations) shorting the power, causing frequent delays on set. No-budget conditions on a low-budget production, haha! The half-dressed actors were amazing as they never complained once. Really lovely cast and crew on this. Fond memories, though the end product gained 1 star reviews. It was designed to be a trashy slasher flick according to the director. The film used most of the rooms throughout this building, but I felt it would have best shot in the daytime and had more lingering shots of the interiors to increase the sense of decay and suspense. This is why I love Session 9 so much. That film really lets the location itself shine. This building needed to have a been made more of a character in itself, I thought. So much potential as a location for all sorts of stories and things to be shot there.

Stills from the film:

That first floor classroom again, this bed is at the back of that room. Also, spot the piece of the paper still in-situ on the board....

The corridor leading to the big room on the top floor. This shot looks from that room back into the corridor and is set dressed for the film with lots of Countdown-style numbers on the walls :p The pic on the right is the big room looking towards that door.

The next post following this will be about the history, and I'll hopefully be able to update it as i've made some enquiries and am awaiting potential new info, if it exists.
Thanks for having a ganders so far!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 04.28.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 04.28.45.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Part two of this little report:

The following info doesn't contain any original research as yet, and is gleaned from a couple of websites by Bev Parker (a local historian) and a former student called Jim Skirving. I hope to be able to add any extra bits I've found here if it happens.

Wednesbury Science School was constructed on August the 12th, 1896, sandwiched in-between the post office, council offices and art gallery. The building was designed by local architect C. W. D. Joynson and built by Thomas Tildesley of Willenhall at a cost of £2,467.

The aforementioned W.S.S can be seen on the pediment above the main door. A wikicommons image.

The School was quite a big deal when it opened, and as seen by the ornament afforded to it. The interior included four large stained-glass windows which depicted various industries as taught by the School. One of which were gifted by a local official. Where these windows are now is unclear as they certainly weren't there back in 2009 and 2010. There was a lot of pride imbued into the centre's purpose and presence, despite the actual building itself being almost comically small in stature when compared to the buildings either side. A mouse with a lion's raw kind of thing, because the School went on to become the Wednesbury County Technical School. This establishment is still fondly remembered by ex-students.The school taught all manner of technical subjects, such as metallurgy, electrical engineering, technical drawing etc, plus photography courses using their own darkrooms. Threre were also labs on-site. The School did also involve other buildings around Wednesbury, however, and some of the courses and workshops were situated there. I'm hoping to gather further info and hopefully a floor plan or two, although, if anyone can elaborate further please do! It'd be cool to know what classrooms and workshops were located where in the building.

The Science School in the 1900s, with the original single-story post office buildings to the left (which were demolished), and the "municipal buildings" which appear on the maps can be seen to the right of the School.

The School changed into the Wednesbury County Technical School around the mid 20th century, continuing the same sort of subjects for students for the area of South East Staffordshire and Wednesbury etc. 1960 was when "the 'tech", as it was known, was closed. There's a Facebook group for former students of the "'tech", where there's some really interesting info and recollections about the teachers and trivia about the building. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/School/Wednesbury-County-Technical-School-356106027744523/

The last student photo from 1960. The row behind the students features all the major buildings on the street, including the "tech" which can be seen just behind the 18th student on the top row from left.It's almost invisible compared to the other buildings. Photo from the FB group.
Also pictured:The coat of arms developed the Technical School.

A student reunion in 2016 shortly before building collapse/demolition. Taken from their FB page. Must have been quite an emotional day!
Glad they got to have a look around inside before the building largely disappeared for good. :-)

Left: The site in the very early 1900s (1902 apparently). The Science School forms the backward "h" shape.
Right: A closeup of the same site from the 1930s. The maps show just how small the footprint of the School was. It's like a cat squeezed into a miniature alleyway. Sort of.
Fun fact: Apparently T.C.B's stands for Telephone Call Boxes.

The building became the Adult Education Centre until 1996. Its listed on archive maps from the 1980s as the Adult Education Centre as well, so it doesn't seem like it's purpose ever changed throughout its life. At some point in the late 1990s the building was under the care of Wednesbury 2000 - an organisation set-up to provide support and grants to local organisation and causes. Wednesbury 2000 was based out of one of the offices in the post office building next door. The former post-office also housed the production company that would later make the film which shot in the School (and also made use of the post office building). Incidentally, the post office building is almost a story in itself! But as it's not and has never been abandoned (although parts it looked distinctly urbex worthy!), that history is probably for another forum!

The footprint of the School and the adjacent buildings has not really changed since the 1900s, though the buildings on either side have been demolished and rebuilt in their era-specific styles over the century. The most recent footprint change has been the demolition of most of the School as seen on current maps.

These images are from the perspective of the main road (which used to have the tramway).
Google's 3D maps give a great overview of the site. Here we are looking down on the school nestled still in-between the more recent post office and council buildings.
As you can see - the demolition has taken out nearly everything from just behind the entrance.

A direct comparison from Street-view of what's happened now that the demolition has taken place.
Left: Is from around 2012. You can see the top room with glass-less windows. And the piano room is at the bottom at eye-level with the road.
Right: Same view. You can see where the School has just been cauterised with concrete. To the right of it is the studios (former post office).
I see the tower-block has been reclad in bland colours as well. Progress.

So, thats it for now! I hope to add some extra photos and floorplans perhaps if they come about, or someone else posts as such.

Once again, thanks for looking, and try to remain calm!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 02.59.28.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 02.59.28.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 02.58.04.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 02.58.04.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very very comprehensive & some good shots there. The film sounds an interesting project. Nice to see this back cat.

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you! It's hard to know whether there's more to find and whether's a point to doing some original research, there's apparently sommat in the records at Kew, but could be anything, could be something really inconsequential and boring, or maybe something genuinely interesting. I'd imagine that the other researchers would have posted its contents already had it been useful though. I really wish we'd posted this place on here back in the day and gone back for more arty/detailed pics after the film was over. I'm surprised no one else seems to have visited it, perhaps it'll turn up on someone's else back-catalogue one day, too!

The film was very interesting to be a part of yes! But the making of it, the location and the collective talent of the people involved isn't represented in the final product, sadly.
The movie hasn't even cropped up on any bad movie compilations or lists, it's that forgotten. Ahh well.