real time web analytics
Report - - Welbeck Colliery, Notts REPORT. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Welbeck Colliery, Notts REPORT.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm not going to start to get all sentimental about the closure of yet another deep coal mine, or even that in the next few weeks every trace of the 100 odd year old buildings will be swept away. Over the past three years I have seen dozens of beautiful coal architecture demolished, some of it in perfect condition, some of it grade II listed. I have come to accept that the powers that be have no sentiment or regard to preserve any of the relics of the coal industry, and so the quest to photograph these collieries before they are gone seems to be all the more important.

Welbeck was sunk in 1912, and some of the buildings on the site were of that vintage. It has however been modernised over the years with an improved downcast winding house, coal prep plant and the typical 30's bath house.

I was lucky enough to visit Welbeck before it closed. Upon leaving I vowed I would return to the areas that I had not been allowed to venture in and to add the headstocks to my 30 strong list.

Speed and I have now made 4 trips to the colliery to attempt to see it all. In that time the bathhouse, workshops and medi centre have been demolished. Annoyingly the upcast winding house, which was in much more original condition than the other was demolished between visits:(

Our final visit was to finish off the headstocks. The upcast was very close to security and the worker's base which was occupied every day from dawn till dusk. Luckily the recent snow created a lovely bright (if not a tad cold) night to see some of the unseen parts. Sadly the upcast winding drum was sitting snow covered upon a pile of rubble for my first viewing of it!

welbeck23of56.jpg

welbeck22of56.jpg

welbeck21of56.jpg

welbeck20of56.jpg

welbeck19of56.jpg

welbeck18of56.jpg

welbeck56of56.jpg

welbeck55of56.jpg

welbeck54of56.jpg

welbeck53of56.jpg

welbeck52of56.jpg

welbeck51of56.jpg