Web
Analytics
Report - - Well Shaft and Cable Tunnel, Dover. January 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Well Shaft and Cable Tunnel, Dover. January 2020

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Over the years I have walked past this location always wrongly assuming it was something completely different. That is of course till I noticed that the entry point wasn't secure. Well it would have been rude and unbritish to not take a butcher's. What a lovely surprise. I proceeded inside to what I initially perceived may have been an ARP or dressing station due to the supportive steel rings with corrugated shuttering. Waiting a moment to ensure no one else was inside exploring or perhaps working, I started to chill realising I had this gem all to myself. As I went further in it was apparent that construction was not made with tall people in mind (my poor back)!! From the entrance 50 steps down lead to a 190 feet long tunnel which ends with a 12 feet diameter vertical chalk shaft running both above to Casemate Level and below the tunnel where water level is reached after 25 feet (and if you fall into this bad boy then ya ain't getting out). Casemate waste drains fed into a brick-lined shaft that was tunnelled through the cliff to connect the underground barracks latrines to the sea.
DSC_0038-02.jpeg

DSC_0066-01.jpeg
DSC_0026-03.jpeg
DSC_0061-03.jpeg
DSC_0017-01.jpeg
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0024-01.jpeg
DSC_0028-02.jpeg
DSC_0058-01.jpeg
DSC_0062-01.jpeg
DSC_0094-01.jpeg
DSC_0083-01.jpeg
DSC_0091-03.jpeg
received_164618704829846.jpeg
DSC_0076-01.jpeg

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
its actually called the great well tunnel, part of the castle and feeds up to the other levels Annex, casemate, dumpy. Its been posted here before i think. I saw someone had butchered the gates etc along here. Shame certain idiots can't do these things properly without a path of destruction.

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
its actually called the great well tunnel, part of the castle and feeds up to the other levels Annex, casemate, dumpy. Its been posted here before i think. I saw someone had butchered the gates etc along here. Shame certain idiots can't do these things properly without a path of destruction.
Yeah, was aware of where it lead but was informed that technically it's an air shaft but is referred to as a Well. But, that's just what a chap told me. I agree that certain folk will smash their way in regardless.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Been a long time since i've seen pictures of this surface, think i may have even put a badly photographed report up in 2010/11 and for a change no ones written "is a cunt" under my name on that wall

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Yeah, was aware of where it lead but was informed that technically it's an air shaft but is referred to as a Well. But, that's just what a chap told me. I agree that certain folk will smash their way in regardless.
Theres information online if you do some research and hunt around, it was always a well. its been fucking butchered, its been doable for years and will now face the same fate as other locations around the castle which have just had cameras etc installed and plates welded over them...the goons will learn when they run out of old locations to rip open.

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been a long time since i've seen pictures of this surface, think i may have even put a badly photographed report up in 2010/11 and for a change no ones written "is a cunt" under my name on that wall
Lol I took a photo of your name on oneof the walls (in chalk folks not spray can)

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Theres information online if you do some research and hunt around, it was always a well. its been fucking butchered, its been doable for years and will now face the same fate as other locations around the castle which have just had cameras etc installed and plates welded over them...the goons will learn when they run out of old locations to rip open.
Okay dokey