real time web analytics
Report - - Wellington Mill (New Knoll Mill) - Greenfield - Feb 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wellington Mill (New Knoll Mill) - Greenfield - Feb 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
WELLINGTON MILL – GREENFIELD – REPORT

1-9.jpg

HISTORY

The Wellington/Knoll Mill complex was a huge site and featured on here a fair bit until a year ago, the site was demolished and a Tesco store built; which opened in December 2010. Much of the historical features of the site which Tesco promised to preserve have gone, for some reason one original mill building remained on the site. Wellington Mill had been up for sale for the last year and has just been recently bought by a local business man.

Wellington Mills in Greenfield, Saddleworth was built in 1852 for Shaw, Son and Lees cotton Spinners who traded until 1858 and were the succeeded by N Broadbent and Sons until 1932 after which the buildings were left unused for 6 years. 1938 saw part of the buildings used as a general engineering works and in 1941 the rest of the premises were opened up with the installation of 362 looms by the fabric weaver B. Kershaw.

In the years up to 1946 the engineering section of the mill produced engine parts for bombers after which it became first a naval store and then a store for the British Wool Board. In 1946 the buildings and land were purchased by William Oddy who transferred their woolen carding and mule spinning operations form Shipley to the mill. This was the birth of the Knoll Spinning Company.

NEW KNOLL MILL

Last week a public meeting was arranged to discuss ideas for a mill refurbishment in Greenfield. The building has been unused for some time and it has now been acquired by new owners who live locally, and it is their intention to completely refurbish the mill to accommodate uses that are compatible with the area, in particularly taking advantage of the location next to the new Tesco store. The mill has been renamed New Knoll to retain part of the original mill name and to mark a new point in the mill's development history.

At this stage they have no firm ideas as to what the likely uses are to be but would envisage splitting the building into units, large and small, to provide rental units servicing a mixed set of local requirements. They envisage that craft, retail uses, office accommodation, personal and professional services and health related uses but are open to suggestions.

It’s good to see the building being saved and hopefully will be put to good use.

MY VISIT

I visited Wellington/Knoll Mills a fair bit about 12 months ago, and as I’m localish watched them being pulled down and Tesco being built. This building was the only one I never gained access to at the time, so has been a bit of a bugbear.
Thought it was about time to pay it a visit as there is now talk about redeveloping the building. It was a nice mooch, but the floors are more or less empty and much of interest has gone, glad I finally seen this building it was a good way to start the day.

I’ll start on the upper floor and work down the mill (second floor)

2-9.jpg

One of the few things of interest on the upper floor

3-10.jpg

The first floor

4-9.jpg

Fire hose on the first floor

5-8.jpg

The ground floor

6-8.jpg

The basement

7-8.jpg

Waiting for the lift

8-7.jpg

Well that’s it, brief as there’s not too much to see, but hopefully add to the history of this site on here.​

Last edited: