real time web analytics
Report - - Welsh Presbyterian Church Liverpool Feb 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Welsh Presbyterian Church Liverpool Feb 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After seeing Georgies report on this place I wanted to check it out for myself (as is usually the case with my lazy style of UE location scouting). Trancentral showed an interest too so off we all went.

The Welsh Presbyterian Church in Liverpool (also known as Toxteth Cathedral) is the derelict ruin of a church, located on Princes Road in the Princes Park area of the Toxteth section of Liverpool.

The building was designed by the Audsley Brothers and was opened in 1868. At 61 metres (200 ft), it was the tallest building in Liverpool at the time.

The Welsh Presbyterian Church is a Grade II listed building (a listed building is one considered to be of special architectural, historical or cultural significance, which is protected from being demolished, extended or altered, unless special permission is granted by the relevant planning authorities; Grade II covers particularly significant buildings of more than local interest.) Various proposals to renovate the structure have been made over the years, and some remain under consideration.
History copied from here

This place is in a bad state now. Some work has been done to support the roof and a steel frame has been put in inside part of the annexe to stop it from falling down but I don't think its going to save it. Your feet go through the floor if you don't tread carefully and the roof supports in the Sunday school hall are almost completely rotted away all along one side where they sit on the wall. The whole roof in there is not going to be up there for much longer.:eek:

Visited with Trancentral and Rocks.

WPC-147.jpg
WPC-10.jpg

Despite the decay it is still an incredible building.

WPC-24.jpg

WPC-20.jpg

WPC-34.jpg

I think this provided the air for the organ.

WPC-41.jpg

Note the steel frame.

WPC-43.jpg

WPC-57.jpg
WPC-69.jpg

Lets not go upstairs.

WPC-70.jpg

WPC-80.jpg
WPC-84.jpg

WPC-95.jpg

WPC-99.jpg

WPC-88.jpg

I did not dare try the floor out in this room.:gay

WPC-114.jpg

Up the spire.

WPC-120.jpg

This is as high as you can get up there

WPC-128.jpg
WPC-105.jpg

WPC-132.jpg

WPC-144.jpg

WPC-142.jpg

WPC-129.jpg

Thats all folks. Thanks for looking.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
A common occurrence would be for the lead to get nicked off the roof, the rain gets in and rots the timbers and the roof collapses.
The other common occurrence would be a fire, the grey ceilings look smoke damaged. Surprising any roof remains though.

Gorgi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A common occurrence would be for the lead to get nicked off the roof, the rain gets in and rots the timbers and the roof collapses.
The other common occurrence would be a fire, the grey ceilings look smoke damaged. Surprising any roof remains though.
I did some research. The council took it off to stabilise the structure