real time web analytics
West Ham Magistrates’ and Coroners’ Court, Stratford 2017 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

West Ham Magistrates’ and Coroners’ Court, Stratford 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Awesome mooch about a few years ago. Proper derpy and very photographic. Just the way I like it.

History:

The West Ham court house, also know as West ham Magistrates’ or West ham Police and Coroner’s court, is a Yellow brick Victorian era Italianate Court house built in 1884 and officially opened in 1885. The complex of buildings were designed by the Borough Architect & Engineer Lewis Angell. West Ham court house was later extended by John Morley in 1901 and included a new frontage.

Due to a new court house being built within the Stratford area, the older West Ham court house was phased out and vacated circa 2010. The buildings were granted Grade 2 listed status during the 1980’s as being a historical building. Unfortunately, a in December 2013 gutted court room 2 and destroyed the upper floors; 2014 saw emergency conservation work such as scaffolding holding up court room 1 and a temporary roof to prevent further decay to the buildings.

DDE_2053.jpg

DDE_2056.jpg

DDE_2054.jpg

DDE_2059.jpg

I basically went for the cells, but the photo below is what I stayed for. I love finding things like this:

DDE_2064.jpg

DDE_2068.jpg

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
I was here last week. Very little has changed though the scaff tag said that new scaffolding had been erected. Really nice decay here :Thumb

I thought it would have been converted by now! I did read something recently that Newham are trying to stabilise the building. Good to know people are still going, interesting building imo, would like to see the morgue at some point.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Is the room with the desk still the same ? Worth it just for that.

Ha, agreed! I have to many places that I have been, or want to go, where I want a photo of a specific thing. There is a school up in Wigan is small, but nicely decayed derp

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ha, agreed! I have to many places that I have been, or want to go, where I want a photo of a specific thing. There is a school up in Wigan is small, but nicely decayed derp
I know the school it was lovely not too sure these days.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Morgue is just a double door 6 body fridge. Pretty cool but it's autopsy room has been stripped. It's a faff to get into and it's full of old stone statues. Think the council used it as storage for some building reclaim material and just forgot it was there. Would have been amazing to see upstairs in this place and the basement before it was all destroyed but it's a fantastic building regardless! Don't see much hope for it though unfortunately, especially in Stratford.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Morgue is just a double door 6 body fridge. Pretty cool but it's autopsy room has been stripped. It's a faff to get into and it's full of old stone statues. Think the council used it as storage for some building reclaim material and just forgot it was there. Would have been amazing to see upstairs in this place and the basement before it was all destroyed but it's a fantastic building regardless! Don't see much hope for it though unfortunately, especially in Stratford.

I remember seeing the statues through the skylight, we couldn't be arsed to climb down lol

The upstairs was sketchy as fook and very pigeony. The basement had a few good fixtures and made for a nice warren of odd rooms.

DDE_2073.jpg

DDE_2072.jpg

Loads more photos here: https://thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/s...-ham-magistrates-and-coroners-court-stratford

Who has read this thread (Total: 145) View details