real time web analytics
Report - - West Park Asylum – Epsom – Oct 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - West Park Asylum – Epsom – Oct 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited by Sho and PaperTiger.

Its time for this week’s West Park Report:rolleyes: Sorry to do this to you all but you know you will miss them eventually when they cease to be...I finally made it here and it was too good not to share:D Here goes..

West Park Asylum. Designed by William C. Clifford-Smith. Opened 1923. The hospital was the last great London asylum and follows the compact arrow design. When complete it could cater for around 2,000 patients. It was slowly run down from the mid 1990s, and by 2003 was mostly closed and derelict.

In the following years it became one of the most iconic derelict asylums in the country achieving a cult status which spread far beyond the UK attracting visitors from around the world. It is known famously for its unique features and vast collection of original items making it the UK’s last remaining ‘time capsule’ asylum and a true Mecca of UE.

Having recently lost sleep over the prospect of never seeing West Park I knew that I had to get down there fast. Then after a life changing musical excursion the night before, I decided that the time was now and attempted to make it a full weekend of awesomeness!!

Some last minute and sleep deprived arrangements later. I left early and began the 440mile round trip from Manchester to Epsom. On route I nervously dreaded the possibility of an epic fail due to the current situation. Still, I tried not to dwell too much. I met up with my accomplice and we chatted briefly in the woods before heading for the site. Things seemed fairly restricted at first but a couple of nervous moments later and much to our delight, we were inside.

I was finally in West Park! The incredible vibe hit me straight away and I wandered around the maze in complete awe. This really is an exceptional place. Inside it was surprisingly relaxed with just a few minor occurrences throughout the day most of which actually turned out to be quite amusing. We spent quite a few hours there and got round a good few wards. I half attempted some unique shots to gain some different angles but we all know that was never going to happen here today. Sorry if my pictures are a bit touristy. It was so much more about just being there.

Security is doing a good job securing virtually everywhere making getting around a very interesting challenge at the moment, although they were kept busy outside mostly giving us some nice roaming time.

wKOZ8.jpg

uYOVh.jpg

El7EQ.jpg

iNkG4.jpg

tqfbm.jpg

LUIVt.jpg

Njdhk.jpg

nND6M.jpg

9fmyq.jpg

AZ8og.jpg

cOLy5.jpg

PNAWX.jpg