Web
Analytics
Westbury Care Home, Hampshire November 2020 | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Westbury Care Home, Hampshire November 2020

beautyindecay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After being a member here since 2009, I'm finally posting my first report!

History

Westbury House is a country house south of West Meon Road between East Meon and West Meon in Hampshire, England.
The house was built in the Palladian style but rebuilt in brick after a fire in 1904. It subsequently became a boys' preparatory school before becoming a care home until it closed in the 2010s after being rated inadequate by inspectors.
It was once occupied by the Sartoris family and Mary Sartoris was painted by Frederick Leighton.
The house is not a listed building, although the ice houses are listed and stables nearby are, presumably having escaped destruction in the fire.
The home was closed in June 2016 after the Care Quality Commission (CQC) found residents "were not protected from abuse and avoidable harm". There are several reports of patient misconduct and data breach as thousands of files with patient details are still left within the house.

The explore

After skulking out the house at nighttime with a friend, we decided to go back as a group of three a week later during the day. Entrance was not difficult once we figured out how- avoiding the notorious neighbours. As usual I found myself shocked at the sheer state of decay this place inhabited after only being closed 4 years ago. Even looking back at video content from two years ago, the water damage and rate of decay is vast. It's such a terrible waste as the building is absolutely magnificent and set amid beautiful English countryside. It would make such a stunning home. I cannot believe some of the incredible ceiling and fireplace details just left to decay. Also there is the most beautiful grand mirror there and chandelier, perhaps my favourite feature. The house has endless amounts of staircases leading to separate wings in the house. Some parts of the house, particularly the ground floor, are impossibly dark and full of wiring and severe water damage. We managed to explore all floors bar part of the ground floor that looked too eerie to enter.

The place was littered with ephemera, in particular the library which was teaming with antique books. I found a postcard dating to 1969 and several family photos.
We stayed for three hours before departing just after it was getting dark outside. There is severe water damage inside and consequently a lot of dripping noises throughout the house- presumably the lead has been stolen from the roof of the house leading to such decay. The East Wing had an incredible stench like urine which confirmed my knowledge that many patients were left neglected and forced to attend to their own needs when help did not come. I found a fridge with aged food inside and the smell was most unpalatable . There was a lot of Christmas ephemera inside the building too.

We would be up for visiting again so just send me a private message if you fancy an explore :cool:
Hope you enjoy the (very pic heavy) thread!

The front

Inside

This wing didn't seem to be as badly affected by water damage and had the strongest stench of urine:

:

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
Regular User
As a report, this should be moved to a section of the forum rather than in the new members introduction section. Nonetheless, not a bad first report! :thumb

beautyindecay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As a report, this should be moved to a section of the forum rather than in the new members introduction section. Nonetheless, not a bad first report! :thumb
Thanks for that! Can't believe I managed to put it in the wrong section. I presume I can't change that now I've posted it?

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
Regular User
Thanks for that! Can't believe I managed to put it in the wrong section. I presume I can't change that now I've posted it?
You should be able to alter all reports upto 24 hours afterwards, however, as for moving sections, I believe an admin/moderator will have to do this for you.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Welcome to 28Dl . Good 1st report. Followed format and showcased the place well. Just needs moving to Residential section.

The only thing I would say is I dont know how many members on here are colour blind. I recognize red, but I dont know what colour blind people would see.

Anyway hope you post more, so welcome, welcome welcome:thumb

amfalconer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My firm got an inquiry from the owner about 3 weeks ago regarding having it redeveloped into bedsits - sadly it all sounds very 'cheap and cheeful' and not sure how the locals will respond to the proposal - safe to say we gave it a hard pass.

Don't expect it to be about too much longer though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members Introduction 8