real time web analytics
Western Park School - Leicester May 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Western Park School - Leicester May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vw_golf_nutter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Western Park Open Air School was built between 1928 and 1930 . It is Grade 2 listed.
The school was built for children who were recovering from debilitating illnesses, particularly of a respiratory nature, and their regime followed the principles established for patients in Swiss sanatoria of moderate exercise, a nutritious diet, rest, and spending as much time as possible in the open air.
The site for the open air school at Western Park was chosen because it was sheltered, south-facing, and offered views of the country and access to the surrounding park.
The school was designed for 180 children who were taught subjects suitable for outdoor teaching, such as horticulture and botany, and they ran or played in the park at intervals throughout the day. They had an afternoon nap on folding beds in the playground, and were given three meals a day. In the Committee Minutes it was explained that the aim of the school was to ‘so train the children that they would eventually become hardy men and women’.
In the early 1930s an additional pavilion-style building in which to store beds was built at the south end of the site.
In 1974 a single-storey brick toilet block was built in between two of the chalet classroom buildings, and a series of covered walkways were erected to link together all the elements of the site. A single-storey brick kitchen was added to the east end of the dining hall in the later C20, and a small single-storey block built at the rear of the administration building.
The open air school later became a special school which closed down in 2005.

We found this place while on the way to another explore so decided to stop. It is now very well boarded after several fires but was still a nice place to see. It has recently had plans approved for use as a Cafe and Council Offices although the fire damaged buildings will be demolished and rebuilt.

wm_DSC_0384.jpg

The covered walkways I have seen on other photos are now gone..

wm_DSC_0386.jpg

wm_DSC_0387 (1).jpg

wm_DSC_0393.jpg

wm_DSC_0396.jpg

wm_DSC_0398.jpg

wm_181857836_10158704559768411_5303105271318595975_n.jpg

The School has its own air raid shelter!

wm_DSC_0401.jpg

wm_DSC_0405.jpg

wm_DSC_0402.jpg

wm_DSC_0409.jpg

Despite being described as a massive financial burden to the Council they still apparently cut the grass...

wm_DSC_0407.jpg

wm_DSC_0410.jpg

wm_DSC_0411.jpg

wm_DSC_0413.jpg

The playground

wm_DSC_0415.jpg

The steps are even grade 2 listed! I love this shot, the trees were just beautiful..

wm_DSC_0380.jpg

tiapenny1

28DL Member
28DL Member
There is actually a bomb shelter out the back we used to go here when I was younger as I was local to this I’m sure they might have covered it over by now though

Martin78

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
oh really! Did you just go in the main entrance over the bridge? Thats where the 2 working cameras are, we avoided them and went round the back
All the way in just walking around and he turned up thinking there might be Motion sensors but never seen any

Who has read this thread (Total: 373) View details