real time web analytics
Report - - Westhulme Hospital, Oldham - Febuary 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westhulme Hospital, Oldham - Febuary 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJwakefield18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All,

Here is my report on the now closed Westhulme Hospital on Chadderton Road near Oldham.
Visited with fellow explorer Tommytucka.

History
Westhulme Hospital was originally opened in 1929 as the Westhulme Fever Hospital
before been renamed to Westhulme Isolation Hospital in 1948 and Westhulme Infectious Diseases Hospital in c1970.

The hospital then closed in 1996 after been used as a Long Term & Infectious Patient hospital since 1974,
with remaining services been transfer to the Royal Oldham Hospital. After its closure it was used by Pennine Acute Trust as teaching, training and storage,
with wards and rooms been converted into Offices and Meeting Facilities with these facilities leaving c2007.

More recently the car park and Health Centre on the site have been used by Greater Manchester NHS as a base for Clinical Assessment & Treatment Service,
providing CT Scans, Endoscopy, X-Ray and much more.
These services moved out of Westhulme hospital at the end of 2011 and are now located next door at B&Q.

The Visit;
On a rare break in work me and Tommytucka met up near by and gave the site a visit,
initially planned as a scouting mission to work out future visits and entry points,
we quickly stumbled upon several entry points with foot prints in the snow providing tracks leading to them.

We first looked around B Block on the north of the site,
used by the "IM&T Modernisation Team" the ground floor of this building was pitch black and with our tourchs providing little light, we quickly moved up stairs.
What came apparent was that this site has well and truly been trashed by the pickey brigade with large chunks of ceiling and wall now been on the floor.

The final two blocks we visited "A Block" and "E Block" both having much the same fate.
A Block was much the better preserved building with original fireplaces and wood walls still serviving which appear to have been wards for Long Stay Patients.
But after housing an IT Department in its later years many of the lower ground floors had the same treatment as B Block.

After trying the other buildings including the Health Centre we retreated back to the car and headed back into the town centre,
where myself and Tommytucka parted ways...
I returned to the site a little while later, to get a photo of the main enterance,
just to find the site swarming with Security Guards... so we got out just in time

Equipment;
Canon EOS 1000D with EFS18-55mm Lense
Velbon CX-540 Tripod

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

Baby Blue Tit and Wasp in a Bottle :confused
IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg