real time web analytics
Report - - Westley Richards & Co, Birmingham, 02/06/09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westley Richards & Co, Birmingham, 02/06/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Inspired from Derelict UK's report of the site, (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40599) I headed down in the LOVELY sun we've been having to take a peek. A lot of workmen hanging around outside the front, but I think they were just seeking shade on a break from the site across the road.

It's proving a bit hard to find an actual history of the factory works itself, but finding information on the company is out there. The excerts and old photos in this post are taken from their website at Westley Richards - Bespoke Guns & Safari Equipment - Est.1812

"William Westley Richards set up his gunmaking business in 1812 to design and make guns that could not be bettered. Not only has the company achieved that original ambition, it has also been responsible for a remarkable series of inventions that have set new standards in gun design.

Westley Richards' commitment to innovation is matched only by its dedication to superb craftsmanship. The company's standards of manufacture go far beyond those of precision engineering, and every part of every gun is made, finished and fitted with faultless accuracy."

This photo was taken by Harold Potts in 2007, showing a still active Grance Road site. Town and Gown - Grange Rd Bournbrook © Harold Potts cc-by-sa/2.0

And this is the front of the building as of yesterday;

1.jpg

Wikipedia was relatively clueless in terms of the company, but here's the brief overview they gave. "Westley Richards is one of the oldest surviving traditional English gunmakers. It was founded in 1812 by William Westley Richards. Their inventions included the Anson & Deeley boxlock action and the Droplock, which equals in status James Purdey's self opening and Holland & Holland's removable locks. They were the producers of the Enfield rifles, the British Army standard for many generations."

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I'd be interested to know what this piece of kit is, if anyone has any ideas?
6.jpg

One of the workshop store rooms. P3 masks, ear plugs, silicon seal tubes, gloves and various machinery spares.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The central courtyard.
12.jpg

The sprayed on note and date surprised me the most.
13.jpg

Layout of the Press shop.
14.jpg

Staff/customer car park on the north side of the site.
15.jpg

Down in the small basement level were shelves full of paperwork including orders, delivery notes amongst others.
16.jpg

And then around the corner this beaut was hiding. :D Smallest place for a boiler EVER.
17.jpg

Out of the cellar towards the steps leading to the car park.
18.jpg

19.jpg

The weapon testing area. The area was littered with spent cases, empty shells, shell boxes, and nettles. The bastards.
20.jpg

I assume Derelict's handy work!
21.jpg

The end of the range was absolutely annihilated as you can imagine.
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Various delivery notes, letters, letterheads, envelopes etc.
26.jpg

27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: