real time web analytics
Report - - Westwood Mill - Linthwaite - October 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westwood Mill - Linthwaite - October 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Westwood Mill - Linthwaite - 10.2010

HISTORY

Westwood Mill is a Grade II listed building and is privately owned by Michael Wilson Restorations. Permission was given in October 2005 for it to be redeveloped in a similar scheme to the nearby Titanic Mills although today it still remains derelict and ruined.

The earliest part of the building was a scribbling mill, facing the mill pond (right), built in 1798 while the canal itself was being built. The mill was used in the production of textiles, with clothier John Shaw leasing the mill in 1824.

This listed building is believed to be the earliest surviving woolen mill in the Colne Valley and shows different phases of construction over a long period. It was originally powered by water from the adjacent mill pond, the waterwheel that powered the mill was replaced in 1920 by an 85hp water turbine manufactured by William Gunther and Sons, Oldham.

MY VISIT

With a few hours spare I decided to visit a couple of local venues which I have not been able to access yet, foiled again, one venue by the swollen river due to the torrential rain.
I decided then to venture over the hill to ‘Deepest Darkest Yorkshire’ and stumbled on Westwood Mill in the pouring rain. Much of the buildings are very derelict and empty of things of interest, but I liked the spiral stairwell and the remains of the water turbine. Very wet (camera and me) I decided to call it a day, but will head back for a better explore in drier weather!

Westwood Mill through the rain

h-3.jpg

Spiral stairs to the first floor

a-4.jpg

Stairs to the upper floors (not visited)

b-4.jpg

Ground floor of the main building

e-3.jpg

f-3.jpg

Remains of the water turbine (I think)

c-3.jpg

Ground floor windows

g-1.jpg

An outbuilding with sofa

d-3.jpg

General view of the mill buildings

i-1.jpg

Well that was it for this visit, worth a couple of hours and I'm sure there is more to see on a drier day.​

Last edited:

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
aye looks like a nice little place shame about the original features being missing but still I bet theres some good photo opportunities

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very Arty lol as you say worth a mooch mate .

I should really know where all these Canalside Mills are ....but I don't even though we probably made the Lock Gates alongside it ; (

Last edited:

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
It's called Lowestwood Upper Mill. A previous mill on the site of Titanic Mill was known as Lowestwood Lower Mill. The name 'Lowestwood' has since been modernised to Low Westwood.

There was a final flurry of activity to save this mill by the late Lesley Kipling , a local historian (among other things), in 2013. This seems to be a lost cause now.

Some construction work has happened here recently - but I believe it's mainly to prevent the mill collapsing into the canal and footpath adjacent.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
There was a final flurry of activity to save this mill by the late Lesley Kipling , a local historian (among other things), in 2013. This seems to be a lost cause now.

Never say never. Funnily enough about ten minutes ago I was looking up a mill near me that was probably in a worse state than the one in the report. They've done an amazing conversion on it so perhaps all is not lost for this one!

http://www.undercurrent-architects.com/projects/millend-mill-gloucestershire-uk/