real time web analytics
Report - - Westwood Quarry - August 2010. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westwood Quarry - August 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Westwood Quarry, Visited By Ojay, Thompski, Woodburner & Raptor Jesus.

Continuing the ONE BIG WILTSHIRE WEEKEND, we headed over to Westwood to take a look at this semi-live site.

This had been a 'Big to-do' for sometime, so shouts to Thompski & Raptor Jesus for the tour whilst in Wiltshire.

The place is immense and I'm sure there was more to see, but as time was against us, we only had a relatively short mooch.

Brief History:

Westwood Quarry, situated just outside Bath. Originally 2 large stone quarries. Once the workings ceased, the Agaric Mushroom Company who used the quarry as an underground mushroom farm.

During the WW2 half the quarry was used by Royal Enfield. It was then used as an underground factory producing Anti-air craft predictors. After the War, Royal Enfield continued to use the site as a workshop to repair their motorcycles up until 1970. The workshop was then taken over by two ex-Enfield employees who ran a servicing and repair workshop from the quarry until the 1990's.

In another section of the quarry, accessible from the main drift, the mine was also used as a secure vault to house the valuable contents of the British Museum and other such artefacts from Galleries & private collections during the Blitz.

More significantly the Crown Jewels were also stored here, on one occasion in 1943 Queen Mary paid a visit to the Quarry.

The secure storage area was fitted with a state of the art ventilation system, it was also equipped with smoke detectors and a sophisticated air conditioning system to ensure consistent humidity & temperature to safegaurd the valuable artefacts.

The main repository was secured with two large safe doors requisitioned from a London bank.

Today the secure area is maintained by Restore Data Services, and still used as secure storage.

Later in the 1970's the mine was aquired by Hansons, and mining finally ceased in 2008.

In your Mines.......

Mail

mail.jpg

Office

Office.jpg

Down to the Main Drift.... Do Not enter (Err OK).

Me.jpg

Main Drift

Main-Drift.jpg

Down to the Secure Area

Secure.jpg

Secure Storage Area

Secure_Gate.jpg

Tracks

Track.jpg

Digger

Dig1.jpg

Dig2.jpg

To the Mine

To_Mine.jpg

In your stone mines

Drift.jpg

stone.jpg

Emergency Exit

Emergency.jpg

Whats through here....?

ojay.jpg

Storage area

store.jpg

Electrics, looks like somebody left the light on

Elec.jpg

Elecs2.jpg

Elecs1.jpg

Remnants of ventilation system used for secure repository

Vent.jpg

Duct.jpg

Remnants of WW2 Electrics

Old_Elecs.jpg

Whilst snapping away, I heard Woodburner mutter something about a tunnel. As I looked around there was an 8ft hole in the floor, before you could say winrar I was 'in your holeZ' :D

Climbing down was Lulz, I reckon that Health & Safety course WB attended would have served me well :rolleyes:

Once down, there appeared to be a long tunnel, about halfway up was a pile of tyres (A poor attempt to block the tunnel). I soon clambered over to see what was the other side..

Underground.jpg

Magic Mushrooms FTW

mushrooms.jpg

The tunnel took a sharp right turn, it was now 1ft deep in shite and was difficult to traverse, eventually I found the End..

End.jpg

THE END. Thanks For Looking :thumb