real time web analytics
Report - - Westwood Quarry Nov. 09 - getting back to basics! | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westwood Quarry Nov. 09 - getting back to basics!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Great explore of Westwood, with OT,Urban Junkie, Shadow, Raptor Jesus and Rigsby.

The history has already been covered well on here, but in a nutshell this Wiltshire Quarry was converted to a shadow factory during WW2 to provide 'fallback' production capacity for Royal Enfield Motorcycles (in the event of Mr Hitler and his little glee-club disrupting production at the main factory with their pesky bombs)

One of a number of places visited over a couple of days, I decided on this series of trips to try something a little different from a photographic point of view.

So out with the auto-focus, multicoated, auto-aperture, zooming, 21st century optics lens, and in with this:

DSCF8670.jpg
DSCF8671.jpg

(note the 2p piece for scale :p )

A 1960/70's Soviet lens (Industar 50/2) no auto focus, no metering, no autostopdown, and working at the equivelent of about a fixed 75mm focal length!

So a few random pics.

DSC_7013-1.jpg

DSC_7043-1.jpg
DSC_7039.jpg

DSC_7020.jpg

DSC_7017.jpg

DSC_7056.jpg

DSC_7011b-1.jpg

DSC_7011.jpg

DSC_7027.jpg

Now wash your hands please :p

DSC_7033.jpg

And then on to towards the 'live' sector....

DSC_7070.jpg

DSC_7060.jpg

DSC_7082.jpg

DSC_7084.jpg

DSC_7095.jpg

DSC_7100.jpg

A great explore, and some great company - cheers Guys!

.​

Last edited:

Mazungu

are you calling me white?
28DL Full Member
Nice Styru tell us more about this lens combination DOF is awsome

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Nice Styru tell us more about this lens combination DOF is awsome

Great shots Styru what body was the Industor mounted to?

Bit more about in in this old thread.

Used on a Nikon D40 it's an M42 screw mount, so adaptor required - most of the focusing done by guestimation ("that look like about 8 meters - I'll set it to that" sort of thing)

Aperture set to what felt right for the DOF I wanted, and exposure on B and counting in my head for what seemed like the right sort of time.

petzl

Explorational Urbanite
28DL Full Member
awesome pic there mate how much did the lens set you back?

petzl

Explorational Urbanite
28DL Full Member
Not actually Hong Kong, but one of the underdeveloped parts of the world - Milton Keynes if I remember correctly.

lol this is getting better. will the lens fit in a sony a200?

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
shot of OT on his way to wynsdyke is a cracker lol, I actually chuckled, and I don't think I've made that noise before :p

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
shot of OT on his way to wansdyke is a cracker

debbie_hypno_203x152.jpg

Brick-Man

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes,
not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes,
look into my eyes,
you're under.

You did not see a picture of OT near Wansdyke,
we have never been near Wansdyke,
we do not know what Wansdyke is,
we do not know where Wansdyke is.

Three, two, one... You're back in the room.​

Edit: On a serious note, I took this whilst OT was setting up for a 'self portrait' so he may have a better version (if not already posted) - he certainly has the intelectual property rights to the pose! (but I bet he paid more than £10.50 for his lens :p )