real time web analytics
Question - - what camera equipment do you take when exploring? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - what camera equipment do you take when exploring?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

khampson

28DL Member
28DL Member
There are some really good photos on here. I was just thinking what cameras does everyone take when exploring, to me something small and pocketable like my panasonic tz7 will do me fine (for now) but looking at the photos on here some look slr quality but a big slr around your neck is hardly mobile to me. Also what other bits and bobs do you take with you. My first thought would be correct clothing and footware, torch, notepad and pencil and a mobile phone just in case.

I am new to this game so sorry if my post is a bit obvious. I did search equipment and cameras and did get lots of returned posts but with the speed that tech advances these days they become dated very quickly.

Thanks Keith

m9

big in japan
Regular User
The vast majority of peoples photos you see on here are done with crop sensor digital SLRs (like nikon d90s or canon 60ds). A few use big full frame dSLRs (like Nikon d800s or Canon 5d) and a few use 35mm film cameras. To be honest, for low light performance, speed and flexibility, a DSLR is pretty had to beat. Must say though, when you're out on random adventures, the best shots are always off pocket 35mm film cameras, just catching people off guard swinging on ropes or stuck in caves!
As for equipment, depends where you're going, and it doesn't matter that much. If abandonment is what you have in mind, then trainers and jeans will be just as good as anything. You have to remember, it doesn't matter if you're running tube or skulking round soggy hospitals, none of these places are the Antarctic.

Ancisace

28DL Member
28DL Member
I normally carry the following:

Nikon D60 SLR
18-55mm kit lens (I almost always just wind up using this one, but I also bring a 50mm Prime lens and a 55-200mm telefoto lens too)
A cheap, lightweight tripod (very rarely used but it doesn't weigh much so I may as well bring it)
Sailing Gloves (protect my hands while I'm climbing through windows but the index fingers are free so I can use the camera).
A first aid kit
Two torches (with spare batteries)
Dust mask
Phone
Waterproof jacket

I carry all of this in a waterproof insertion pack inside of an ordinary hiking backpack. I don't do rooftops and drains, though. If I did I'd probably take different stuff.

ViralEye

Drain Ninja
28DL Full Member
My basic list of equipment is;

Camera with 16mm lens
Fisheye Adaptor
Tripod
Remote for camera
Hand torch with spare batteries
Headtorch with spare batteries
handfull of small colour lights
last but not least, a bottle of water.

I also keep in the car some spare clothes and some towels incase i decide to go for a swim(or the person I am with does *cough* Snake Oil *cough*).

I use a compact digital which is basically a fully fledged DSLR but without the mirror inside so a lot smaller and lighter than a normal DSLR.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
I take my Nikon D40 not the best but its small compared to some and does me fine
my kit 18-55mm lens
70-300mm lens which i hardly use to be fair
tripod is essential in my eyes.
torches
notepad and pen
few snacks and a drink

thats about it.

pickle1984

28DL Resident Pickle
28DL Full Member
I take:

Canon Powershot SX150IS using CHDK (all i can afford right now, but gives some pretty good shots)
Tripod
Lots of rechargeable batteries
Torch
Flask
Gloves
Bite to eat and a fizzy drink for energy
Waterproof coat

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Slometimes I carry a DSLR, sometimes I carry a compact, sometimes I carry a film camera (35mm or 120)

It really depends what/where etc.

These were taken on a compact, bought on ebay for a tenner that is smaller than a mobile phone:

tunnel4.jpg

csthedral_zps6ac5d5a6.jpg

camera_zps70acb1ec.jpg

And this was taken on a 1970's SLR that cost less than a fiver:

mill_01.jpg

but even those are expensive compared to some options -

Don't get too hung up on the need to spend lots of wonga.

This picture:

IM004632.jpg

Shows spungletrumpet using a 99p (from ebay) camera (a camera he produced some cracking shots with)

It was shot on a 14 year old, 2.1MP compact that I found in a bin, and that is held together with an elastoplast, a bolt, and a bit of metal I literally found in the gutter

These are from the same 'bin-find-freebie' camera...

uj.jpg

IM004787.jpg

IM004832.jpg

IM004794.jpg

IM004793.jpg

IM004646.jpg

ot.jpg

The boating ones are all handheld - hard to find a firm base for a tripod when floating! - but it goes without saying that a tripod is a must carry on most situations.

Granted they don't quite match my DSLR - but for the price of some batteries and a plaster they are perfectly useable :p:

Bottom line, taking pictures is 5% what kit you have and 95% what you do with it - use what you've got, enjoy what you've got, and don't feel the need to carry tons of expensive kit - unless that make you feel good :thumb

.​

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Depends where you're going. I try to always make sure I've got my Canon 60D, fisheye lens, my speedlite flash and tripod. Although the latter isn't always used due to time and space being a factor. A 50mm is always good to have if you want some detailed shots but I always go to my wide angle as my default lens :thumb

jST

LLS.
Regular User

Wot no doorknob shot??

Like fishbrain notes, it is a personal preference of what gear to take.

I personally take a pinhole camera made out of a stella artois can and a roll of 120 film.

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
lol:

- 5DII (with rubber camera armor which appears to be out of production)
- 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
- 50mm f/1.4 (that I need to upgrade to a 1.2)
- 16-35mm f/2.8 IS II ultra wide angle (for most inside stuff)
- 70-200 f/2.8 IS (only occasionally take this along)
- Manfrotto 3-segment 055 with a heavy duty ball head - rock solid tripod, great as a stepladder, crowbar, junkie deterrent, balancing pole, machete, hammer, and reaching-kit-up-high-places grappling hook
- torches up the wazoo (1400L and 1600L Crees, a good headlamp, and a Lenser for illumination)
- sometimes a set of 5-in-1 reflectors - great for channeling light (and blocking annoying light sources)
- (caves/bunkers only) - a JK Dey carbide lamp and a Petromax (which is annoying as fuk because I am stupid and usually end up lighting half the floor on fire) along with spare carbide, water, and fuel
- some gel filters because just in case
- Speedlite 580 EX II flash gun (bounce flash / strobe only) - really need to get a Yongnuo remote
- an external water level
- a wireless remote (used to have an Accessory Power RM-WRS-CN2 which is now discontinued, but lost it, and am furious because copies don't work nearly as reliably fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu....)
- an AE-1 with a 28mm, a few rolls of film (Velvia, TX400, Neopan), and a cable release (just in case - and sometimes I even remember to load film)
- dust blower and brush, and lots of (clean!) microfiber
- lots of spare batteries for everything, including the remote
- a sherpa to carry all my shit (although it's amazing what you can carry in a single Domke bag and a pair of cargo pants if you fashion a sling for your tripod)

In addition, usually good boots and sturdy gardening gloves, a 10m electron ladder or rappelling ropes (if necessary), a multitool, and of course, a few rolls black electrical tape ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

The tape is by far the most important.

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Schoolbag, lunchbox, few rolls of cheap film, the one nice lens and a 35mm body, plus whatever tripod I have the most pieces of to hand. Also tape, bogroll, a beer and a few climbing slings for the really dirty bastard fences. D: ___/. That's evolved from absolutely nothing, though. I started out not even taking pictures, until I remembered I had a compact...

georgie

He Never Even Got There
28DL Full Member
Depending where im going just take myselfand a camera maybe a torch

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
Do you seriously carry all that john or do a couple of gurkhas tag along with big trunk?

Actually it mostly fits pretty neatly in a Domke original bag. The main compartment neatly fits a 5DII + 70/200, as well as the 15mm and the 50mm (I take out the dividers and put the lenses in their own baggies as cushioning). The 16-35 is in a side pocket in the bag, the spare batteries are in the other side pocket. When I'm set up, the camera usually stays on the tripod, which goes over my shoulder.

The lights go on my belt (velcro+button closure). The tripod is on a separate sling I built using a nylon belt with a few carabiners. I usually have a lens or the flash in a side pocket on my cargo pants, and I generally spent about 10-15 minutes arranging all my crap in various pockets when I enter a place (remote control, lens cleaner, torches, etc.)

I'm a big guy so weight's not so much an issue The main problem is swapping out lenses in really dusty environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.