real time web analytics
Information - - What tripod do you use? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - What tripod do you use?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Thought I'd start a thread discussing what tripods people use as it's something that could help others decide if they are looking to buy a new one. I currently have a Giottos VGRN9225 which is a compact tripod. One annoying thing is that it maximum height, however it is lightweight and pretty stable apart from in windy weather. I previously has a Manfrotto 190xprob which was brilliant but a little bulky. I do miss it however. Wouldn't mind finding something in between.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Can we mention the cost as well please. I'm not interested in anything that costs a stupid amount of money.

Manfrotto 718SHB, used to cost about £60, now they cost the same used.

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
I've got an unknown model Cullman (given to me free) which is small enough to go inside my bag but doesn't go very tall, and a Hama Gamma74 (given to me free) which goes nice n tall but is a pain in the arse strapped to the outside of the bag.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I use 3 of the Giottos models, depending on what i"ve gonna be shooting & with what camera system. Plus different head types, mainly Ballheads for most stuff TBF

As with most stuff you want to really see it in the flesh, especially for this stuff as the compact ones are rarely strong enough for getting bashed about much, never mind being supportive enough for DSLR"s. etc The theory was spend well & wise, spend more for quality & it should last you & it"s always better to have features you may develop into using than not having them available maybe forcing an additional purchase later . Variable positional centre coloumns have worked out well for me both in this stuff and my other photography needs :)

Find a Jessops or local decent camera shop, in an ideal world it"d be WEX, Park cameras, Harrison cameras etc then buy online lol

Last edited:

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
I had a couple of Hamas that self destructed after various drainz and caves.
I've just ordered a Manfrotto 'Action' so hopefully it should last a bit longer and be a breeze to use compared to the others :thumb

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Sub £100 unless it's particularly special. Not really worth it otherwise seeing it'll get bashed around. However I think it's worthwhile getting one that will withstand a degree of punishment. Had a Hama one which did me ok but the legs kept going loose.

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
this is literally just for anyone reading out there who likes to throw cash around, check out "3 legged thing", small britsh company who make awesome tripods, i got through a couple of shitty argos vivita tripods and recently said fuck it and got a 3 legged thing as i had just had a brucey bonus at work, its a lovely bit of kit, if you like dicking about with angles and shite you can drop it down to 135 mm or jack it right up to 2.1m, smooth as silk ball head, one of the legs can detach as a monood if thats your thing and it folds down to 500mm, also like the fact that as its a small british company potential repairs, replacement parts and warranty are a doddle, like i say they are'nt cheap, start at about 150 and go up to over 300, obviosuly a tripods a tripod but just thought id throw it out there for those who might have a birthday coming up or something.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bet you"re the only person on the Forum that uses one of those mate :)

Bring it out on Friday & we"ll do some crash tests lol

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
this is literally just for anyone reading out there who likes to throw cash around, check out "3 legged thing", small britsh company who make awesome tripods, i got through a couple of shitty argos vivita tripods and recently said fuck it and got a 3 legged thing as i had just had a brucey bonus at work, its a lovely bit of kit, if you like dicking about with angles and shite you can drop it down to 135 mm or jack it right up to 2.1m, smooth as silk ball head, one of the legs can detach as a monood if thats your thing and it folds down to 500mm, also like the fact that as its a small british company potential repairs, replacement parts and warranty are a doddle, like i say they are'nt cheap, start at about 150 and go up to over 300, obviosuly a tripods a tripod but just thought id throw it out there for those who might have a birthday coming up or something.

Blimey, those are pricey.

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
the joys of having no mrs, no kids, no mortgage an alright paid job and very low outgoings! if youve got a detachable leg on yours we could get a monopod sword fight on the go, see whos bends first! :D

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You could always get the next Giottos model up (or 2) which will give you more height & maybe retain your current head unit and just switch it over saving a few quid ?

They are tough, i"ll give them that i"ve only snapped one leg dropping it off the top of Cannon Brewery (not intentionally i may add :) and cracked one head unit that they kindly replaced as it was defective (after dropping from Sheff" Court"s access point:)

Last time i looked there were quite a few sellers offering them on Ebay who"d bought up Jessops stock when they went tit"s up, seem to be more reasonably priced ?

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I've still got my trusty old manfrotto modo. Been all over with it. The legs extend and everything.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details