real time web analytics
What's the first place you ever explored? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

What's the first place you ever explored?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rainey

Hilariously under-equipped since 1999.
28DL Full Member
This might get people talking a little. We all obviously had to start somewhere when it comes to exploring all these abandoned places. So... What was that first place? What's your story behind it? That kind of stuff.

Well, here's my first - I had a bunch of abandoned areas on my doorstep for years before they got demolished and prepared for building housing, they're currently decontaminating the ground of something. If anyone knows about it, I had the old Portsmouth Greyhound Racing Stadium just down my road, it was abandoned when I was around 10 and I went in there as soon as someone kicked the fence down, there was a lot of stuff there, two bars, a room full of gas canisters, a generator room, the commentator's booth and a large building for displaying the scores, I went in there several times and got to know all the nooks and crannies before people started setting the place on fire and said room full of gas canisters exploded, forcing the council to eventually demolish everything in there, leaving just the stadium walls today.

That's me done. Now on to you lot. - Rainey

Lissyfit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the first place i ever explored was an old workhouse just down the road from where i grew up. I remember it being creepy as and somehow there was a green sofa balanced on a beam upstairs never could figure out how it got there. The place is still standing today but someone lives in a caravan in the grounds. As for when I started to get into this as a thing it would be an ROC Post which i did a report on recently. it hasn't really changed much in all that time.

Rainey

28DL Full Member
I think the first place i ever explored was an old workhouse just down the road from where i grew up. I remember it being creepy as and somehow there was a green sofa balanced on a beam upstairs never could figure out how it got there. The place is still standing today but someone lives in a caravan in the grounds. As for when I started to get into this as a thing it would be an ROC Post which i did a report on recently. it hasn't really changed much in all that time.

Ah, the good old 'how the hell did that get there' moment. And for me it would've been Paulsgrove Cooper Shelter. Honestly, there's screw all around where I am unless I get a shovel and spend weeks digging...

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
The first place ever was the remaining bits of Cane Hill (The medium secure unit), unfortunately it was all sealed up so I didn't get to see any of the good bits. Short after that I went down Coulsdon Deep shelter just down the hill from there. I remember taking some friends with me through the pitch black woodland one late evening to try and find it. They were quite convinced that I was mad and wanted to get them killed before we actually found the way in to the shelter. After that I got a bit carried away and haven't stopped exploring since.

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HMS Ganges a few years back, we where in way over our heads, didn't even know they had security until he was driving 10-15 feet away from us laying in the grass :rolleyes:

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The first place I ever visited specifically to explore rather than just dick about it in was Hellingly Hospital sometime around 2005/2006

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Some holiday camp on the IoW when I was a kid probably.

First proper explore was stumbling upon Greaves hall nr Southport when pulling over for a piss.

Think there is a report archived on here too once a mate put me onto the site. Probs 2007/8ish

Electric

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wandering off from my Dad around the remains of the Hams Hall Power Station site.

I was young and naive, and generally thought that:
Derelict buildings just needed a nice caretaker.
All dogs could be cuddled. Ones with teeth were just hungry.
Metal things stayed where they were. Pikeys only ever did driveways.
Pipe lagging looked like weird snow.
Druggies were just a bit excessive with their prescriptions.

And then the world became much more interesting.

Rainey

28DL Full Member
Wandering off from my Dad around the remains of the Hams Hall Power Station site.

I was young and naive, and generally thought that:
Derelict buildings just needed a nice caretaker.
All dogs could be cuddled. Ones with teeth were just hungry.
Metal things stayed where they were. Pikeys only ever did driveways.
Pipe lagging looked like weird snow.
Druggies were just a bit excessive with their prescriptions.

And then the world became much more interesting.

You ever tried to impress an English teacher? Because that is how you impress an English teacher.

HMS Ganges a few years back, we where in way over our heads, didn't even know they had security until he was driving 10-15 feet away from us laying in the grass :rolleyes:

Ah, good old security guys in their good old cars... Me and my friends hid in a ditch as a car went past, we were only about 3 metres from the road.

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You ever tried to impress an English teacher? Because that is how you impress an English teacher.

Ah, good old security guys in their good old cars... Me and my friends hid in a ditch as a car went past, we were only about 3 metres from the road.

you can hear the creaky springs of his vectra 600 meters away, doesn't do much for his stealth tactics :rolleyes:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Clarkson engineers, was opposite my 6th form and used to watch the kids go in when I was in a lecture from the window... Thought I'd have a poke about in there and fell in love with the place.

I've driven thousands of miles, visited most of the major towns and cities in the UK and spent thousands of pounds looking for more places to do just as I did that day...