real time web analytics
Question - - What's this? Nr. Gilcrux, Cumbria. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - What's this? Nr. Gilcrux, Cumbria.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

d17

28DL Member
28DL Member
Anyone have any idea what this structure is? I've noticed something unusual on the horizon for a while and finally took the drone to have a closer look today. It can be seen on Google Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/osfUW1gnTW32

First post also so helloooo!!! I've been browsing for longer than I care to admit.

Photo11-05-2017174301269a5.jpg

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
It's some sort of navigational device for Aircraft, owned and managed by NATS (National Air Traffic Services).

horrgakx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yep, you can see it from the north end of the Moota road on the horizon, it's the Dean Cross VOR station. This is an aircraft navigation aid and as such I wouldn't fly a drone near there because although it's not marked on an exclusion zone on the no-fly zones it is still a high priority asset (along with things like the radio transmitter at Anthorn and various underground reservoirs dotted around - I used to be a police officer and I'm an aircraft enthusiast).

When you see aircraft flying over you'll notice they sometimes turn at this point - they follow the radial of the VOR station. You can see what I mean in my photo of Buttermere at night (CLICK FOR THE PICTURE) - those trails are aircraft and the trails converge over this VOR.