real time web analytics
Report - - Wheal Basset Stamps, Cornwall 4/4/10 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wheal Basset Stamps, Cornwall 4/4/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

M2QA

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A little information on the mine:

Wheal basset is situated between the mining towns of Redruth and Camborne and is one of 3 mines link together to make the "Basset mine limited", and one of the main ore bodies was the Great Flat Lode. The mines ran from 1815-1905 when the price of tin slumped. During its working time the mine exacted 14,178 tones of black tin and 94,200 tones of 8.5% copper.

Today the pumping house is visible with the grated lyes shaft (depth unknown). The vennar house, stamp house, dressing floor and winding house. You can also see the path that the track ran to deliver ore from the mine entrance (caved in) to the dressing floor and also onto South wheal Frances.

The site has been looked after by the council in the past years to stop it from falling into ruin. unfortunately due to there work on the site it has been made safe so any entrance in the surrounding has been blocked.

On with the pics:

The entrance to the dressing floor
DressingFloor.jpg

The dressing floor
DressingFloor3.jpg

One of the 16 bundles
Bundle.jpg

The vanner House
ShakingTableHouse.jpg

Winding House
WindingHouse.jpg

Stamp House (note the RSJ'S the council have installed)
StampsHouse.jpg

Enterance to the mine (landslip on the outside, cave in on inside)
Entrance.jpg

Track way running to the stamps and off to South Wheal Frances (Entrance behind)
TrackWay.jpg

Chimney.jpg

Lyes Pumping Shaft (Grated)
LyesPumpingshaft.jpg

Brickwork.jpg

Window.jpg

Last edited: