Web
Analytics
Report - - Whitburn Rifle Shooting Range, South Tyneside - October 2013 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whitburn Rifle Shooting Range, South Tyneside - October 2013



AuntieKnickers

inquisitive historian
Regular User
#1
Visited with The Stig and Skapunkmetalskater

The land for the range was bought from Sir John Sherburn by the Territorial Force Association in 1912. The camp was occupied by the Regular Army throughout the First World War and wooden huts were built for a garrison approaching battalion strength. A trench system was dug using the characteristic ‘Greek Key’ pattern of firing bays and communication trenches. After the war the camp reverted to the Territorial Association until the Regular Army returned between1939-45. During this period, some of the trenches of the earlier war were re-excavated. By 1953 the wooden huts of the First War were replaced by the modern brick bungalows which today stand on the range. This work was carried out between 1954 and 1962, providing accommodation for approximately 250 troops. During the 1960s the Royal Engineers carried out ground clearance works, eliminating the ‘bumps and hollows’ between the butts and the camp and removing almost all traces of the trench system. At the same time concrete pillboxes were demolished and destroyed.

Planning proposals have been issued for the demolition of the barracks, officers mess, workshops, stores, classrooms as well as the two storey house. Once demolition is complete 42 luxury accommodation in keeping with the character of the local are will be built.

10427154313_6611e458d1_b.jpg



10427200735_78c2caf1ac_b.jpg



10427146085_ceb86aac06_b.jpg



10427075964_17d48daeea_b.jpg



10427196043_86a9eabda2_b.jpg



10427049325_4b662aace7_b.jpg



10426979164_f66e367fa3_b.jpg



10427076643_eed61a0023_b.jpg



10426898234_2aeb63e810_b.jpg



10426820514_e0052dc29d_b.jpg



House and Barracks

10426762504_603e7f4c0b_b.jpg



10426774955_d810fa4287_b.jpg



10426798123_df481648f1_b.jpg



10426752173_25287b3af8_b.jpg



 

Attachments