real time web analytics
Report - - Whitchurch Hospital - Cardiff - September 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whitchurch Hospital - Cardiff - September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CookieRaider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Construction of Whitchurch Hospital began in 1898 and it was officially opened in 1908. Like most Victorian asylums it was designed to be fully self-sufficient with it's own farm, water and power supplies. During the Second World War part of the hospital was put under control of the military and it became the largest emergency hospital in South Wales. In 1948 it was taken over by the Ministry of Health as the NHS came into being and was fully utilised until care in the community systems beginning in the 1980s saw patient numbers begin to decrease. Phasing down of the hospital began in the mid 2000s with services beginning to move to new buildings elsewhere, and the hospital officially closed in April 2016.

The Explore

A massive thanks to @mookster for the tips for this one! Explored with @Balannah on a nice sunny day. We got into the buildings easily with no problems. However after about 10 minutes of exploring we soon realised we weren't the only ones in the building. We pressed on regardless, not knowing if it was security or anyone else inside with us. With multiple voices and footsteps around the main entrance and admin area we scurried off to the eastern wards and started our explore there.

44855763032_65961d8f6f_c.jpg

31032322368_a9f07f7211_c.jpg

43993646275_80f31c0bbb_c.jpg

After this we headed towards the water tower and climbed to the top to get some shots.

44856151102_6e82d11393_c.jpg

29969610797_9c2022680b_c.jpg

43994041485_0e74565c06_c.jpg

Whilst we were up there I had a look over towards the main entrance of the hospital and spotted two ambulances and an orange tent. On the bowling green were around 30 or so paramedics having lunch. They were using parts of the hospital for training, that put us at ease a bit more as to who was inside the building with us! Heading down we worked our way back towards the main hall.

29970041407_9fc2bfcec7_c.jpg

44906496691_8049371c5e_c.jpg

44856599602_ec0aa9b7d5_c.jpg

From here we headed back towards the main entrance to get some shots there, unfortunately they must have stopped their lunch as I managed to get one photo before someone walked through the door. He didn't spot us at first, but as we were making our get away he called out to us. We decided it would be best to leave and try and come back a bit later when they had finished training.

43094848300_35e66f07ca_c.jpg

We went away and got some food ourselves, did a bit of shopping to waste time then headed back later in the afternoon. It worked, they had all left and we had the place to ourselves. However with light fading we didn't have much time so it was a bit of a rush. Also managed to find the dentist suite which I missed before thanks to directions from @mookster

44855597612_49bf59880e_c.jpg

29968931727_915141f492_c.jpg

31032120648_b489a3d528_c.jpg

29968703757_d730f3be63_c.jpg

31032010458_fd48de9831_c.jpg

I snapped a quick shot of the entrance as we left.

43092911100_0a56fee821_c.jpg

We didn't get to see as much as we wanted. I'm hoping to do a return trip soon enough and cover the rest of the building as much as I can. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

More photos on my Flickr here: Whitchurch Hospital

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Lovely shots. I know its getting trashed but also the corridors are starting to decay nicely as well..

There is so much water pouring into parts of it now it won't be long until things start to rot properly - having said that it's the dry rot that's going to screw this place badly, even the mintest ward of them all has large areas of dry rot on the ground floors.

The water tower likely won't be accessible for too much longer either, water pouring down it and some very sketchy floors on the upper levels!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
There is so much water pouring into parts of it now it won't be long until things start to rot properly - having said that it's the dry rot that's going to screw this place badly, even the mintest ward of them all has large areas of dry rot on the ground floors.

The water tower likely won't be accessible for too much longer either, water pouring down it and some very sketchy floors on the upper levels!

Yeah we went one friday night recently and the corridor by the laundry was foot deep in water! My friend also put her foot through the floor one of the tower floors!

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pictures!

Shame to hear it's going downhill fairly quickly. There was quite a significant leak in the shop a few months ago.

pusher

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
30-09 - quite active site atm, lots of security, patroling day and night, we have managed to avoid them however west side was too risky to explore, big lories on the yard from PANALUX company... any ideas what is going on there guys ? couse i have no clue, last week was dead there....

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Panalux is the company used by TV and film companies probably making either TV or movie there that's why the security .

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
30-09 - quite active site atm, lots of security, patroling day and night, we have managed to avoid them however west side was too risky to explore, big lories on the yard from PANALUX company... any ideas what is going on there guys ? couse i have no clue, last week was dead there....

Interesting, a friend of mine went yesterday and there was nothing of the sort there.