real time web analytics
Report - - White Tomkins & Courage Silo - Liverpool sep 09 - | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - White Tomkins & Courage Silo - Liverpool sep 09 -

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

georgie

He Never Even Got There
28DL Full Member
one ive been meaning to for a while so finally got off me arse and done it

across the dock i go after the dodgy enterance to meet this building. once inside the smell hits you it literally knocked me sick...dead pigeons everywhere shit stacked 1ft high in some parts.....

anyway though and up the very small staircases (some in complete darkness) i go to finally get up on the roof. death on a stick if the wind get you but thankfully it wasnt that windy so managed to get the tripod out.

admired the views then left...

a bit of history taken from an archived report on here....

White Tomkins & Courage Ltd manufactured a number of products - one listing describes them as 'Distillers of Essential Oils, Fruit and Flavouring Essences, Manufacturer of Fine Chemicals and Flower Oils'. Their mills were used to produce tapioca, maize and flaked rice.

With imported raw ingredients arriving from afar, storage facilities had to be built at docks around the country. The silo built at Stanley Dock allowed imported grain to be carried off visiting ships and stored for later transport.

Below the silo, a railway siding connected the dockside to the mainline network. This meant that hoppers could be filled when passing underneath the silo and then the grain transported to mills and factories for processing. In 1964, R&W Paul merged with White Tomkins & Courage to form Pauls & Whites Ltd, but the Stanley Dock silo retained it's original owner's name on the east wall.

DSCF5827.jpg

DSCF5834.jpg

DSCF5838.jpg

DSCF5899.jpg

DSCF5898.jpg

DSCF5853.jpg

DSCF5850.jpg

DSCF5851.jpg

DSCF5861.jpg

DSCF5896.jpg

half way up...

DSCF5856.jpg